Pleural effusion

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has had pleural effusion, it has taken me 3 months of constantly complaining to my doctor and rheumatologist of the pain I have in my right rib area when I take a deep breath sneeze or yawn. I am now being sent for a CT scan as the chest xray shows pleural effusion, but who knows how long I have to wait for that. Also trying to get referred to a lupus specialist, have asked my doctor but he said he can't, going to try the rheumatologist next, wish me luck.



Featured Content

Clinical Trial Myths | New email series

HealthUnlocked have put together an 8-week email series debunking common myths about clinical trials.

Sign up now!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

7 Replies

oldest โ€ข newest
  • ๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿผ Good luck leesy...sorry, I've only had pleurisy...I hope the system steps up for you pronto...hope you'll let us know how you get on ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž

    ๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€ coco

  • Thank you


  • Hi Leesy, I had pneumonia and a DVT in my left calf about a year ago which resulted in being diagnosed with lupus. Had a litre of fluid drained from my right lung. Pneumonia cleared up after 6 months. For the past few months have been complaining to my rheumatologist that I have pain in the right side of my chest again, had xray and CT scan which indicated pleural effusion but told not enough fluid to drain. Seeing rheumatologist again on 16th of this month and going to insist something is done as pain and cough getting worse. Good luck with your CT scan and I hope you get sorted.


  • Thanks taylo23, why don't they take any notice, that's why I want to see a lupus specialist. Please let me know how you get on. I did want mine sorted before I go on holiday at the end of June.


  • Dear Leesy,

    Update, I saw my rheumatologist today and results are looking good for my SLE. Advised to wait until I see the respiratory team in July - cough has surprisingly stopped - and to reduce my steroid intake - been on for over 14 months. Still not feeling too wonderful as blood pressure is a little high, on Lisinopril 10mg, but seeing GP on Monday to discuss what can be done to resolve the high blood pressure issue.

    Have you managed to get an appointment your CT scan sorted?

  • Hi taylo23, thanks for letting me know how you got on with the rheumatologist, that's good news about SLE. Hope you will feel better soon, for some reason my BP is low, I will have to ask my rheumatologist about BP as they or the doctor hasn't check it, the last time it was checked was in A&E in Feb.

    CT scan is next Saturday the day before I fly, but the GP and Rheumatologist say the fluid is minimal so it is okay to fly, but I might have some discomfort, the pain hasn't been as bad, didn't want to cancel CT as you never know how long you have to wait for another appointment.

    Still trying to be referred to a specialist, GP says he can't refer me, PALS said he can or if he won't ask the rheumatologist, and the rheumatologist said the GP has to refer me, just going round in circles, I will wait until after my holiday to tackle them.

    Hope they sort out your BP, and your appointment with the respiratory team goes well, just out of curiosity what is your steroid intake? I am slowly reducing from 10 and have got down to 7 1/2, a few twinges is my hands but not too bad.

    Thanks again, look after yourself


  • Hi Leesy,

    Sorry for slow response, saw GP blood pressure back to normal but still on 10mg blood pressure tablets. My steroid intake was on 12.5mg now reduced to 10mg - first week - having some side effects, but I'm persevering.

    Hope all goes well for you too.


You may also like...