Allergic to sun creams

Hi, community.

My 14 year old granddaughter is going on her first school skiing trip next week. Her skin burns really badly but she comes out in a red, sore, itchy, painful rash if she applies "ordinary" sun creams, especially the Nivea ones. Anyone else out there, with a similar reaction to over-the-counter sun creams? And if so, any recommendations for a product we could buy in UK? Thanks.

Tess

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • The chemist recommended vichey sun cream to me , but maybe if she could test some of the hypoallergenic cream before buying as they are quite expensive

• Thanks, weathervane. That's helpful advice. A blotchy, bumpy red face isn't a good look at the best of times but when you are 14...!

Tess

• 🤔 i cant remember back that far LOL

• I think ultrsun is the best spf product you can buy. Ideal for sensitive skin the face one isn't thick m creamy so sinks in. Always go for factor 50. QVC is the best and cheapest to buy it. And best of all only need to put on once a day first thing in the morning (unless it's very hot then do another application) xx

• Hi, Sherryb.

Thanks so much. I will buy some and take it round for my granddaughter to do a "patch test" after school.

Tess

• Great thread tess! I react to sunscreens too...have spent way too much trialling diff brands over the years & giving them all away. In Switzerland last year I picked up a new make:

Daylong 50+ for kids, a Nestlle skin health product

This is THE FIRST sunscreen I SEEM to be doing ok with 🤷‍♀️

Hope you'll let us know what does suit your granddaughter...am v much feeling for her

🍀😘🍀😘 coco

• Hello. If she has lupus, has she tried the prescribed one, Ego Sun Sense SPF 50+? A lot of us use this one from the doctor, it really gives good protection. I hope you find something. Poor girl.

• Thanks, Wendy. She hasn't had any other symptoms (yet?) to suggest lupus. But good thinking, re the Ego Sun Sense product.

Tess

You may also like...