ICUsteps
3,726 members1,014 posts

Foot drop/nerve damage after induced coma?

Hi has anyone had foot drop/nerve damage after an induced coma? I was placed in a coma for 10 days due to pneumonia & respiratory failure. I suffered really bad hallucinations that required antipsychotics to help get me back to reality- another story! However I couldn’t move nor feel my left foot, nerve conduction test showed significant sciatic nerve injury/lesion proximal to the fibres subserving semimembranous muscle and likely to be at the pelvis. MRI clear apart from a cyst but that’s something else. I’m at a a loss. It’s been 3 months now and i am in the dark still very confused. Can anyone shed any light or have you been through a similar nerve problem after a coma?

Thank you xx

12 Replies
oldestnewest

Yes to much of what you experience, I have also spoken to many ex ICU patients that often complain of different levels of neuropathy & myopathy.

I struggled to use my hands & fingers, I still cannot create a true fist with my right hand, I frequently forget I am holding something & drop it. I had no feeling on the top of my feet in places for along time but it returned after 2yrs. I still cannot bend several toes.

My husband has the same mystery nerve damage to his left foot after a 10 day induced coma. Feel like the foot is asleep always. Pins and needles when it’s touched

1 like

Hi I had the same left foot issues.

I went and got fitted for training shoes as I ware them all the time, also got fitted for insoles so I could use my other foot ware, This helps.

I found that using Vicks nasal cream on my foot help with the tingles and shooting pain that I suffered.

My doctor had given me pain killers for this pain but I found that rubbing vicks on my foot allowed me to stop taking the pain killers altogether.

Hi, I have/had similar issue. Think it came from swelling in ankle pushing on nerve & lying in bed in icu for a long time. GP gave me nerve blocking medication, but didn't seem to make a difference for me but you could try it. Mine was/is like carpel tunnel but in foot! Also osteopath said do warm/hot & cold water in 2 different bowls & dip feet in for minute each to increase circulation & healing! I can move my foot OK but the pins & needles & numbness is very irritating and painful sometimes! Just give it time for nerves to heal and settle? I've been out of hospital 2 months and it's eased off a bit!

I had neuropathy in my hands and feet before ICU, but it's worse since. I have a particular problem with my left hand which I think is due to damage at the elbow as I can feel a nerve 'buzz' sensation along the arm. When I get out of bed my left hand is almost useless, but gradually recovers during the day.

1 like

I had the same in legs, hips and my right arm. I'm 5 month out from a similar situation as you. The arm pain was nerve in elbow and was a month after being released and the legs and hip started 3 months. I was baffled as I felt worse than I had after waking from the coma. This past week is the first week I have almost no pain when moving and walking. And the arm ended a couple weeks sooner. You will get there, and will be worth the wait. The worse part of healing sometimes is the delay in recovery speeds between your mind and body. One day your mind is sharp and want to be active but your body says no way, then the opposite another day. Your better days now are probably when the days match up for both. Once they sync permanently, it will be a beautiful time for you. Your probably sick of people telling you to give it time, as I was, but in fact it turned out to be true...

I can also relate to the dreams, I was very close to needing help. My alternative reality that never happened, haha Even 5 months out I still can remember them as if they were true. We all heal differently and each individual situation may be similar, but remember you will get better at your pace. I recommend being active every day. Shopping is actually a great way to be mobile as you can use a cart for support when walked. I had weekly a routine that would allow me to visit a store each day of the week to get things I needed. Plan out your meals and shopping lists, may sound weird, but you excersise without the focus on your pain.

Good luck, as more time passes you will think clearer, and your body will catch up! Be glad to be alive, cheers (excuse grammar, typing on my phone)

1 like

Yes I had both after being in induce coma for about 2 months from pneumonia and ards and to this day I still can't feel my foot all the way I only can move my toes a little except big toe not at all I can't move my ankle I'm on nerve meds got a foot brace and everything they say eventually it will come back by its on and its been over a year but it doesn't hurt as bad as it did at first you just got to keep working with it and as far as the dreams I still remember some of them like it just happen yesterday the crazy part when I did finally woke up I thought it was the next day but to find out it had been almost 2 months sucked everything's so different now but the only thing you can do is keep moving forward and pray I hope everything gets better for you

Yes I too have a brace - a turbomed was using a plastic AFO brace before tho, I’m also on nerve pain tablets pregablin. Have they told you why it’s happened?

No its still a mystery to them and me I just think its kinda odd that before all of this wasn't nothing wrong with my foot why all of sudden this happens its unfortunately this happened but at least I know I'm not the only one going through it cause because of the pneumonia respiratory failure and A.R.D.S I'm now on oxygen 24/7 so I walk on a walker and before never had any of these issues and sometimes its hard cause I feel like I'm only 32 with all this going on taking a lot meds everyday 2 and 3 times a day it sucks but I just keep faith and keep going and pray that I'm still here but hopefully one day they will figure out to why this happens to people who has been a coma GOD BLESS you and continue to do everything in your power to keep going forward

I spent two weeks in ICU, sepsis, coma, multiple organ failure etc....7 months on I have muscle weakness all over, but numbness and walking difficulty due to sensitive feet and ankles. I think I there is gradual improvement and be careful not to read, look into to many posts support groups for neuropathy as causes vary and also outcomes. My tip keep using it or lose it. Keep up the exercise and each day some improvement. Sometimes noticeable sometimes not. Doc says I have critical care neuropathy and it is recoverable. Thanks and good luck.

Did you have a nerve study done? I don’t really understand critical care neuropathy as there’s not a lot of info regarding it :(

I have foot drop in my left leg too. Mine came from rhabdomyolysis caused by blood clots during sepsis. The foot drop is severe so I wear an afo brace. I can’t really walk without it. The swelling crushed my perineal nerve. Sometimes the pain is unbearable, but I haven’t found anything that can make it better.

You may also like...