ICUsteps
2,889 members857 posts

My father isnt waking up from a medically induced coma...scared

hi there - my father is 76 years old and was in great health. he was admitted to the ICU 16 days ago with pneumonia and a staph infection in his lungs. he suffered organ failure - heart, lungs and kidneys. his heart is now stable. he is intubated but has minimal ventilation support and is on dialysis. he has been off sedation for 8 days. he has not opened his eyes nor does he respond to verbal commands. he only responds to pain stimuli and touch. his CT scan showed no concerns. they are doing an MRI and an EEG today. i am so worried that he wont wake up. any advice would be so helpful.

10 Replies
oldestnewest

I had the same - 8 weeks later I woke up - it took me a long time to come round. Your father is older than I am by over 20yrs. It takes longer to recover the older you are. The sedatives effect different people in different ways - I hope he improves soon

I have the same situation... my dad is 64... in inducted coma now for 4 weeks ... not waking up yet and problem with independent breathing so he is still ventilated :-(

1 like

Hang in there Hun sedation can takes weeks sometime times to come around from

Have faith tell him u love him And that u need him in icu I forgot that I was just waiting for news forget that hold his hand and wait I'm sorry that's all I can do and believe me I know what you are booing through we probly all do and what you done has been through I have seen people come out the other side and tell the tale

Good luck xxx

Thank you

Hi waking up from sedation can take a while give it time tell them you love them and have faith so many people have come out of what your father has been through I used to whisper to my uncle were we would go and what we would do and soon enough he started responding but still not awake then on the last day I said I love you he opened his eyes and mouthed it back 😔unfortunately he didn't make it I hope ur father does though as it's the hardest thing I have. Been through and nobody deserves that

Thinking of you xxx

Thank you for your thoughts. I’m sorry you lost your uncle,

Any news on your father ? We are going through the same situation with my dad - finding it incredibly difficult not knowing if he will ever wake up.

How's your dad?

Sadly he passed away 2 weeks ago. How about your dad ?

I'm really sorry :-( can't even imagine how you are feeling ...

My dad is awake but still on ventilator support and in ICU for nearly 60 days...he is still very sick.

You may also like...