ICUsteps
3,029 members876 posts

Post sepsis syndrome symptoms

Hi there y'all. I won't go into all I went through before I ended up with septic shock (that's all in my first post).

Suffice it to say I had an indwelling catheter that led to a urine infection that ended up with me going into septic shock (I run at 120 systolic and it dropped to 60). I had to go to hdu for noradrenaline as no amount of IV fluids would increase it.

I was lucky not to get ARD, DIC or organ failure but did have a raised troponin without chest pain (which apparently means I could have died apparently).

I was in for around a week in total.

Since discharge:

I get tired walking short distances.

My meralgia paresthetica (which is like sciatica) played up and I get it most of the day every day.

I feel spaced out most of the day.

I'm sleeping a lot.

Think I have PTSD.

Some days my mood drops for no reason and I cry for no reason. I'm more anxious than I used to be before, eg wrt catching a cold.

Now to my question, I would like to know now so that I'm "not surprised" if they occur.

Apart from recurrence of sepsis, what are other complications I should watch for?

Thanks in advance.

Lots of love and well wishes to y'all xx

7 Replies
oldestnewest

I don’t know if it helpful to warn in advance, for the obvious reason that life is risky.

Reading your posts you’ve been through quite an ordeal. I guess for my part, ignorance is bliss. I had no idea what procedure was done right or wrong. I know many were unpleasant, inconvenient and seemingly unnecessary or ineffectual. That said, I recovered from a place must people don’t come back from ( and intact).

I know the sedatives take an incredibly long time to leave the system - emotionally, I was haywire for a month. I was carefree one second and inconsolably the next. I felt exhausted. After discharge & a 4month stint in hospital, getting dressed was a chore. Learning to walk was great but exhausting. Trying to come to terms with limited mobility and not knowing if this would be permanent. Would I be able to work again, enjoy my children, grandchildren, travel, pay the bills, make love to my partner, skip, run, kneel if I wanted - so much was uncertain.

18months on - I am emotionally balanced, I lead a normalish life. I have to be wary of other people’s illness as I am immunodeficient - I am more fastidious about washing my hands and not touching communal handles or items ( without a glove or paper towel).

Life is good and I am alive thanks to the NHS

1 like

Cheers for the advice Sepsur. I'm sorry to hear what you've been through.

I pray you remain well.

Kr

Nasir

3 likes

Weirdly I am not sorry for what I have been through, I am aggrieved for the pain and suffering my family went through. I had a wake up call which I listened too. If you do physio - carry on!!

1 like

Hi not sure I can tell you what to look out for but I can share some info as I have post sepsis syndrome. I am 21 months post septic shock and my life has completely changed. I still suffer from fatigue, painful feet and legs, hearing loss, nightmares, dry eyes and PTSD. I can no longer work and although I am much improved since I came home from hospital I think this is possibly a new version of me. I’m just glad to be alive as I survived against the odds.

3 likes

I'm sorry for what you've been thru.

I hope you are able to get help for your pain and PTSD.

I spoke with the UK sepsis trust and was advised that I have to watch for and be prevent infections. Also to take it easy and not push myself.

They also said I won't be as I used to be before.

I pray you recover as much as possible.

Kr

Nasir

3 likes

I had sepsis, ARDS, pneumonia, was in an induced coma and on a ventilator for 2 weeks. The doctors told my family I had a 2% chance of surviving. That was 12 years ago. The one thing I would really watch and seek help for is the psychological effects from it. I had severe anxiety when I had gone home. had been diagnosed with PTSD afterwards. We’re you placed into an induced coma? From my research, because by in an induced coma causes a lifetime of detrimental psychological affects. This is very true fro my experience.

Dang i'm so happy that you are here Hanna x. I Fortunately I was not in a coma but for some weird reason I still cannot remember my 3-4 days in the high dependency unit.

Currently am somewhat anxious, my mood deeps often and am still forgetful.

I thought I had some of the PTSD symptoms, so I decided to do what Freud called "abreaction". This can be dangerous and DO NOT recommend it to anyone...I returned to the hospital to give thank you cards (but waited a month- ? subsconscious fear of what could happen to me psychologically). I met one of the nurses who looked after me and he took me to where my bed was and...nothing! I didn't go crazy hahaha phew!

Meds have helped settle the symptoms somewhat. I've been seeing a psychologist before i had septic shock, thanks for advising me to do so.

However PTSD, if not too severe is a matter of watching and waiting (and praying I do not get it).

Next concern provoking issue is returning to work. I will ensure it is phased, as my work involves a lot of thinking and at times this has to be done "on the fly".

Thank you for your comprehensive reply.

I pray this year brings prosperity- spiritual and health-related to you (and material ;-) ).

blessed be xx

You may also like...