A little help please

Back ground info uncle taken in 3 weeks ago with infection which led to m.o.f had dyalisis worked now needs it again It's currently day 5 with no sedation and he has followed a few of the family commands. However he has a temperature of 40 and his heart rate sometimes can go as high as 186. Everytime we feel we get somewhere with him something else seems to go wrong :-( now they are talking about doing a lumbar puncture tomorrow morning. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Please help

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Melanie,

I'm sorry to hear about the difficult situation that you and your uncle are dealing with in ICU.

Multi organ failure is always challenging and is often a cause of sepsis. Sepsis is a severe infection that causes organs to fail, including the kidneys.

You are mentioning that "Everytime we feel we get somewhere with him something else seems to go wrong" and I can see how that might give you a pessimistic outlook.

The reality in Intensive Care when it comes to Sepsis and MOF(Multi organ failure) is that it can be a long journey and that it's often two steps forward and one step back.

Day 5 in ICU after MOF is not a very long time and it sounds to me like the Intensive Care team hasn't really determined the cause of the MOF/ Sepsis. This is most likely why they want to do a lumbar puncture to

a) find out whether CSF(fluids in the spine and the brain) may have been a cause leading to Sepsis

b) If that's the case it would also explain why your uncle hasn't "woken up", as the brain might be affected

However, even though it may feel like a lifetime for you and your family, "not waking up" after 5 days in ICU, in an induced coma with MOF is not a very long time at all and sometimes critically ill Patients in Intensive Care in an induced coma, with MOF, on Dialysis etc... may be in ICU for weeks to come.

So be patient, get as much info as possible, keep asking questions and keep educating yourself! Most of all don't panic and start reading some articles like the ones here

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO WAKE UP AFTER AN INDUCED COMA?

intensivecarehotline.com/ho...

WHAT IS AN INDUCED COMA AND WHY IS MY CRITICALLY ILL LOVED ONE IN AN INDUCED COMA?

intensivecarehotline.com/in...

Take care

• Thanks so much for your reply he passed away earlier today it wasn't meant to be to many complications I guess as he deteriated fast this morning we are in agony but he wasn't I wish it was the outcome we wanted but that's life and I wish you all an easy fast recovery and relatives always keep hope love to all xxxxxxxxx

You may also like...