Headway

Titanium Cranioplasty - 2 years ago toxicity?

Hello all,

A little background - I had a craniotomy after I fell 30-40 feet in the Black Hills in South Dakota on a bicycling trip. I needed a craniotomy to allow room for my brain to swell at the time. I am perfectly fine now - no memory issues, everything is fine cognitively. I can walk, run, bike and do everything I could always do. I am 30 years old - the accident happened when I was 28 years old. I had fairly decent cosmetic results and if I didn't tell anyone I had a titanium plate on the right side of my head, nobody would ever know.

But with me being so young, I fear that the plate will eventually degrade or corrode and excess Titanium winds up in my bloodstream. I have read articles that titanium nano particles can cause neurological disorders, and possibly cancer. I guess I'm just concerned over time - say like 30-50 years of this thing being in my head that it may cause toxicity. Has anyone else heard about Titanium causing toxicity and immunity issues over time? If you have a titanium cranioplasty / plate how long have you had it?

Any response would be helpful!

Thank you all!

Nate Petersen

11 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi I had s titanium plate in my head in 2007 when I was 21 Not had any issues regarding what you mentioned although I am concerned as never heard of it before! i would be interested in knowing more though. X

Not sure why my reply back didn't get posted, but thought I would send again. I too am concerned with how long I am going to have this plate in my head and what affects it will have on my body. I will say that at least with titanium cranioplasty plates there isn't any friction happening, like there would be in say a titanium knee or hip replacement. And my neuro surgeon has told me he has known people who have had titanium in there body for upwards of 30+ years without issue. Curious if there is more of us out there!

1 like

Im sure there are more of us I intend on it being in my head longer than 30 years

Me as well - as I'm only 30 right now. :/

I just wish there was more research on heavy metal toxicity with titanium cranioplasty plates. Anyone know of such research? If I were middle aged with this plate I wouldn't worry as much, but I have most of my life a head of me only be 30 years old. I'm so glad I'm still here - I've read numerous articles about chlorella and cilantro being able to draw out heavy metal toxins, so maybe I can try doing a detox every month for a few weeks.

If anyone has had a titanium cranioplasty, let me know how long you have had - it would be helpful to ease my mind. Thanks all!

Never had cranioplasty though was a option apparently!

Titanium isn't a toxic material or rather it has low levels, I can't see there being a issue to be honest.

1 like

Thanks for the reply Roger! That's what most everyone tells me too. I just worry about the duration it will be in my body - since I'm only 30 years old. But I have heard it is a safe material from my neurosurgeon as well. How did you injure your brain. I think I read you bio that you are a cyclist. That is how I had my accident...I was decenting iron mountain road on my road bike and took a turn to sharp and went over a 30-40 foot bridge. I have fully recovered remarkably thanks to God's healing power and being a very healthy individual.

Cycling to work, no idea what happened it was a pootle in the park, no cars etc. Iron Mountain where is that?

Not sure why my post didn't go through again. Iron Mountain is near Mount Rushmore (The President faces carved in Rock) in South Dakota near Rapid City, USA. I fell over a bridge switchback. I have pictures of it somewhere - it was road/highway 16A leading up Iron Mountain and then to MT Rushmore. Do you remember any part of your accident?

Ah I had wondered since one of the hills around my folks place in wales, is sometimes by cyclist (normally the sportive) called iron mountain.

No I have no recall of the accident my memory stops a minute or so before and doesn't really start again, until a few days later, I have sporadic islands in-between this.

You may also like...