Brain Trauma

My husband was involved in a near fatal road traffic accident on the 28 February 2014. He suffered a lot of broken bones, punctured ribs and a main arterial bleed. Also quite a few vessels burst too. He was in a coma for two weeks and slowly came to but has had a lot of bad experiences and reports regarding his awareness. I need to understand what he is going through and would like some advise on what I can do to stimulate him as well as to encourage positive progress. He has an NHS physiotherapist who does very little physio with him so I got a private physiotherapist for passive stretches and building his core. He does not have an occupational therapist and I am trying various stimulation exercises as tolerated. I feel like I am working in the dark and need some guidance and assistance please.

7 Replies

• phone headway helpline,they provide lots of services and fantastic support.good luck

• Hi Wendy

How willing is your hubby to be involved in and try the exercises for himself.?

Personally I cannot speak highly enough of NHS physios. The exercises the neuro rehab physiotherapist gives may seem like nothing to you ,but trust me on this one , they are really hard work when you have a brain injury.

Everything from learning how to move your eyes, swallowing, speaking, name it anything can be affected and I could only take on one exercise at a time.

Please get in touch with headway. They can help you to understand what is going on.

Love n hugs to you both

• What a lovely encouragement. Thank you. My husband is very keen and looks forward to his private therapist because the guy does a lot of passive stretches first then sitting.

I have set up a community page on FB for him as well

I would love to hear more from you to understand what my husband is going through

• Hi there

Shame, I understand how you must fee.

Try and get in touch with a Headway, if you have one near you. You will be able to go to a support group, and your husband will be able to join a befriending group.

It's so important to be able to mix with people who are also TBI. I know I have come a long way since I joined Headway, and it's so nice being able to mix with people like me.

All the best for his recovery

• Thank you, will do as you suggest. It is great talking to people who know how Nigel feels and what he is going through. We are waiting for a WAV so that I can start to take him out and Headway will probably be on the list if we have one local to ourselves.

• Cool. All the best. 😃😉

• Hi there

Please try and see if you have a Headway near you.

You will be able to join a support group, and your husband, a befriending group.

I have come a long way since I joined Headway, and it's so nice being able to talk to people who are also recovering.

All the best for your husbands recovery. It's a long, slow process, but the good news is that the brain never stops healing!

You may also like...