GPs/docs should write down OUR free text, far better first-off, how WE say it. But my GP (and others) didn't write down all I told him/them (tried so hard but missed loads, still do, can't do lists) and didn't even do any little exam: not really necessary coz he HEARD what I told him like having to write everything down, forgetting I had my period, holes in my memory - couldn't remember holidays and SUCH hard work to try to = kept trying but kept giving up, suddenly couldn't drive/concentrate properly... = these are RED FLAGS!
Yes, we need to create a new one that picks up on OUR disabilities including those said to be 'subtle'.
Tricky coz each of us loses particular things. And should be several versions of each, in case.
- Numbers and maths, but was high-functioing before so 'average' might not catch me.
- Short-term memory. Couldn't remember the name & address just read online test BUT coz I didn't concentrate enough and put it into long-term. Also depends if address name/numbers ring any bels for you personally. And IF doc had said 'concentrate/pay attention, try learn' or paused/repeated = maybe.
- Preparing food and cooking (and fires!).
- Cack-handedness, using left hand more.
- Not able to see or pick out icons on PC.
- Sudden new dyslexic/reading problems, scanning, understanding what I see.
- Forgot spellings/meanings of words always knew, tel. numbers, names, facts.
- What they call reterograde or anterograde (? STILL can't remember and read SO many times) amnesia = I mean for the past/history, before the time of accident time = NOT a clear line like they make out, for me = all fluid: time period before/after ABI all swirly and weird = several years, know some things were before or after but sometimes not sure, try think, confused.
[I find this = lists/thinking SO hard to do = others help?]
- Looking for/seeing/finding things.
- Money and coins/change, paperwork, forms, filing.
- Little maps/routes, local. Distance/big routes easier coz signed. Fail at end-point,to find.
- Date: might have written (try to daily, try remember),might not have. Have mixed up days/dates/years. Med records= dunno many dates/months/years, know some.
- What's on news = too easy, they must refine.
Really comes down to LOOKING, seeing changes in us if they know us (my GP SAW & eyes) = family/friends = ask THEM. If none and emergency need mini state exam that works. Too tired now but PLEASE can clever people work on this to catch us ABIers and FAST?! Mix of free text and simple Qs.
I searched net coz KNEW my brain wasn't working, found lists (dunno what/where) of symptoms and ALL FITTED and felt phew, I knew it, felt GOOD. But didn't think/not able to take GP and use/say, STILL hard to do that, now. Keep being told to but it's SO hard and can't even explain WHY. Awful.
Ask ALL ABIers, families and friends to help create new ones that really work? And if GPs/docs don't use them = must justify why not and if use and need referral but don't = must justify. But I needed fast independent access DIRECT with experts brain. GP was a barrier and prevented/didn't say. And counsellors questionnaire BAD, they too must have Qs for ABI, I tried to write but wrong Qs. Psychology MUST do better and I expect they want to?! But psychiatry (some of them!) and Big Pharma might not want to? Dunno.