Neuropsychological Assessment. How do I go about getting one?

When I was 20 and at university studying engineering, I suffers a serious head injury as a result of a road traffic accident fourteen years ago, I had the usual scans and after an accident of this magnitude I also had a bit of recovery to do. I had my time in hospital as an inpatient and as I got better I was even allowed home at the weekends. Discharged out of hospital and into rehab ( where I had a neuropsychological assessment ). Thirteen years has passed and I have had full time jobs in healthcare, corporate banking and retail, most recently I tried to return to university to be a Radiographer, didn't succeed and want to have another assessment to gauge my abilities.

My GP cannot help and my local mental health unit is clueless too. I am at a loose end now as to how I can get assessed again. Can anyone help?

Oh by the way. Well done for reaching the end of my post coz I know reading it is arduous.

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi TC1979, my story bears many similarities to yours. I had a brain tumour removed following the completion of my engineering degree. Unfortunately, I had to have a further 2 additional tumours removed and spent a few weeks in rehab following my last removal. I had a neuropsychological test session in rehab but have been fortunate enough to be able to have worked in finance. However, I am looking for another job challenge at the minute and have also been looking to have another neuropsychological test. I would advise you to get in touch with the secretary of your neurologist and get them to refer you for an np. I must admit that I have researched to have it done privately but not only is It dear it is also very rare. I do hope that this helps a wee bit and wish you all the best with it too.

C

• Thanks. I saw your post from three months ago and if you are still looking to have the test then it must be a long drawn out process. I sent an email to the professor in charge of the rehab unit, which is now shut down, who was not really much help in my search but recommended that I spoke to my GP again who should refer to my local regional rehabilitation service.

• Hi I wrote to my daughters original neurologist explaining what I was seeing in my daughters behaviour.

The Neurologist sorted out her assessment.

• Hey TC1979

my neurosurgeon sorted out the referral following my conversation with his secretary. My GP had told me to contact the hospital direct. Good luck.

• Hi TC1979,

If your GP's issue is that they're unsure of how to find a neuropsychologist, you could point them in the direction of the British Psychological Society's online directory: bps.org.uk/bpslegacy/dcp

This list of chartered psychologists will help them to find someone to refer to.

A quick pointer: on the directory in the 'What are the issues?' section, try 'Neurological rehabilitation/treatment' in the '--Mental Health--' section, or 'Neuropsychological assessment' in the '--Assessments--' section.

You could also let them know about the GP information we produced at headway.org.uk/management-o...

We developed this to help GPs refer and treat patients with a brain injury, as they are not always aware of the options that are available.

I hope this helps get things moving forward, and please contact our helpline on 0808 800 2244 or helpline@headway.org.uk if you would like to talk things through.

Best wishes,

Headway

You may also like...