I'm : I should have said I do have... - Gluten Free Guerr...

Gluten Free Guerrillas
9,624 members3,917 posts

I'm

benmaise
benmaise

I should have said I do have Coeliac, so this could make me more at risk of Diabetes'.

11 Replies
oldestnewest

The keto diet fully supports those with Coeliac Disease - because it’s grain free.

I know this as I’m also a Coeliac.

If anything it’s doubly important that you make the changes! 🤔

benmaise
benmaise
in reply to Regalbirdy

I will make the changes Regalbirdy. I really don't want to get Diabetes. Thanks.

HiddenThis reply has been deleted
StillConcerned
StillConcerned
in reply to Hidden

Whilst I agree that the body is stressed by a ketogenic diet in the longer term, neither is it designed to live on a high carbohydrate diet. Our hind gut is only 17% of our digestive system.

Grouping a high fat diet with a high protein diet is more dubious than grouping a high carbohydrate diet with a high sugar diet.

What you've written takes little account of how the body actually works. When insulin levels are normal the body actually does derive the vast majority of its energy from fat, so your assertions are anatomically incorrect.

Most people are eating too much carbohydrate already, and that is then converted to the harmful visceral fat because the body would rather do that than blood glucose reach toxic levels (which it obviously does sometimes when this goes on for decades-hyperinsulinaemia goes to insulin-resistance, goes to prediabetes, goes to type 2).

May I ask how old you are, and how long have you eaten in the way you promote?

God bless you!

HiddenThis reply has been deleted
StillConcerned
StillConcerned
in reply to Hidden

You've certainly done a lot of reading in the past year. The changes you've made have probably reduced your insulin response and improved your condition. However, going from a bad diet to a not so bad diet would have a similar effect.

Let's compare notes in about 15-20 years to see how we're getting on shall we?

Regalbirdy
Regalbirdy
in reply to Hidden

I think that you have fundamentally misunderstood the ketogenic diet.

You repeatedly laboured the point about the keto diet being a high protein diet when it certainly isn’t.

It is a high fat, low carb, moderate protein diet.

I can’t help but feel that perhaps you have a separate agenda here, such as promoting your blog.

I would agree that high protein diets such as the Atkins diet are bad for the health. But that’s not the same deal as eating keto at all.

The eating of a keto/low carb diet has been medically proven to support in the treatment of paediatric epilepsy; and medical evidence is rapidly growing about it’s effectiveness in the treatment of diabetes - especially for pre-diabetics, as well as Type II. Anecdotally it is also very useful for those with ME/CFS.

It is by the way perfectly possible to stay in ketosis and eat some fruits and vegetables. I have done this. You just need to pick the right ones.

The above post was for an individual whose post has subsequently been deleted/removed.

It is in no way intended to slight the GFG member who originally posted - whose need is absolutely genuine and to whom I wish all the best health and happiness.

Hi

I second the advice on going for a low-carb diet to improve your health. My husband has lost weight and is no longer on the way to type 2.

I have found that I can’t manage a full keto diet but keeping the carbs low seems to have improved my energy levels. Blood pressure, cholesterol levels etc are good. Ignore all the advice to avoid eating fat, it was a terrible mistake made years ago.

It’s important to do some regular exercise as well. There is a Low-carb site on HU which you may find helpful.

healthunlocked.com/lchf-diet

benmaise
benmaise
in reply to Penel

I didn't know th.ere is a Low carb site on HU I will look for it. Thank you Penal.

Only if your grain and starchy vegetables such as corn and potatoes is high in your diet. Stick to other vegetables, low in sugars, for you carb intake.

benmaise
benmaise
in reply to CATRYNA49

I do like potatoes. I usually have them every day. I will have to eat rice or something else.

CATRYNA49
CATRYNA49
in reply to benmaise

You can replace the potatoes with yams or sweet potatoes. Yams and Sweet potatoes break down into sugars far slower then potatoes, so they are a suitable replacement for those of us who are insulin resistant.

You may also like...