Interpretation of Results Required, Coeliac & Immunoglobulins

Earlier on last year I had the following tests:

Prot Electrophoresis Polyclonal increase IgA

Immunoglobulin G level (XE259) 11.0 g/L (5.0 - 15.0)

Immunoglobulin A level (XE25B) 3.91 g/L (0.8 - 2.8) Above High Reference Limit

Immunoglobulin M level (XE25A) 0.37 g/L(0.5 - 2.0) Below Low reference limit

Tissue transglutaminase IgA level (XaJg2)

0.5 u/mL (0.0 - 4.0)

Tissue Transglutaminase Ab (IgA)

False negative results in coeliac disease may occur if the patient is on a gluten free diet or is IgA deficient. This test identifies the majority of IgA deficient patients but if there is a strong suspicion of deficiency then please request an IgA measurement.

Would be grateful if someone could interpret my results please and how significant these results are. Many thanks

2 Replies

• Hi Gsp 177: Hope this helps: you are not IgA deficient . Therefore your negative tTG indicates that you do not have CD (unless you are following a gluten free diet). If you ARE following a GF diet the result are non diagnostic. To get a confirmed diagnosis you need to discuss with your doctor doing a gluten challenge/re-introducing gluten, 9foe up to 6 weeks !!!!!!!!!) then another blood test to show a +ve tTG followed by a diagnostic biopsy. However you may still not have CD, but possibly NCGI. If this is the case the only diagnosis and treatment is a GF diet (if you follow a GF diet and are symptom free, it is all the diagnosis you need.

• Just to add to what sallydogsmum said...

Your IgA is high, which indicates that your immune system is busier than it should be. This might be due to non-coeliac gluten sensitivity, but it could be a whole bunch of other things. It needs futher investigation.

I believe that IgA is mainly produced in the digestive tract, so a high IgA could indicate that there's a digestive cause for your problems. You probably have symptoms anyway that tell you this!

You may also like...