Fibromyalgia Specialist Clinic in the North West???

I'm writing on behalf of a friend with Fibro and recently diagnosed early onset athritis of the spine. Historically, about 15 years ago she was referred to a rheumatologist but was signed off after a year or so. Anyway, now her fibro is going from bad to worse and the pain relief options make her feel worse. Her GP is neither referring her to a rheumotologist or a pain specialist just saying she needs to pack her job in??? It's my understanding she can ask for a referral and we plan to. What I'd like to know is if there are any particularly good NHS fibro clinics in the North West? Failing that where else might she go? Thank you

7 Replies

  • I'm sorry I can't help you but I wish you the very best!! Peck.🐤

  • This lady is being very badly treated, I am North West and I am under 2 rheumatologists (lucky me) 1 looks after OA Calcium Crsytal disease and osteopaenia, the other specialises in Fibro, he is Dr Ben Parker at the M.R.I he as the Kellgren Centre within the Trust. I paid a few quid for a second opinion, you can approach his secretary at MRI and ask for private appt. I don,t encourage private BUT when needs must Do IT. The secretary will help and will ask her to get a letter of referal and her medical history.. Good Luck spend a few quid and get sorted out.. Best Wishes from

    Nurse Gladys Emanuel (open all hours)

  • Thanks. She should be able to get an nhs referral no?

  • You can get nhs BUT if you have a g.p with a low budget he will only use local referral who, in my opinion, are less qualified than those in larger nhs Trusts.. Try for nhs first then private of he says no.

  • TNX

  • Hi Halinka

    I have pasted you a section below from the *How do I get a referral to an NHS specialist? which I have taken from the *NHS Choices website:

    Access to NHS specialist treatment is via your GP and is based on need. You can ask for a referral for specialist treatment on the NHS. You will need to see your GP if you wish to be referred to a specialist in a particular field, such as a surgeon or a gynaecologist (a specialist in the female reproductive system).

    All your medical records are held by your GP, who understands your health history and treatments better than anyone. Therefore, your GP can decide whether a specialist referral is necessary and, if so, recommend appropriate hospitals or clinics.

    Under the NHS e-Referral Service, you can choose the hospital or clinic where you would like to receive treatment, as long as your GP feels that you need to visit a particular hospital or clinic to receive appropriate medical treatment.

    If you ask your GP to refer you to a specialist, they will probably suggest that you try various tests or treatment options first to see whether your condition improves. You cannot usually self-refer to an NHS specialist, except when accessing sexual health clinics or treatment in an accident and emergency (A&E) department.

    A specialist will only see you with a referral letter from your GP. The letter will give the specialist essential background information, such as your medical history, and it will also contain details for the specialist to pay particular attention to.

    If you wish to see a private specialist, you are still advised to get a referral letter from your GP. However, if you see a private specialist without a GP referral, your GP is not obliged to accept the specialist's recommendations.

    I have also pasted you the link for this below:

    It may be a case of jumping through a few hoops and talking to a different GP but she should get the referral from them. I want to genuinely wish you both all the best of luck, and please take care of yourselves.

    All my hopes and dreams for both of you


  • TNX

You may also like...