General gynaecologist/endometriosis expert? - Endometriosis UK

Endometriosis UK

50,950 members41,940 posts

General gynaecologist/endometriosis expert?


Hello everyone. I am having a laparoscopy to hopefully find and diagnose endo on 19th June. I first went to the doctors about it last September. Now the operation date is getting closer I am starting to worry about who will be doing the operation. I have read many many comments on here which say make sure you have surgeon that knows lots about endo not just any old gynaecologist. I am having mine done by a surgeon from a gynaecology department but as far as I’m aware, they are not an expert in endo. I am worrying now that I am doing the wrong thing and should have pushed for an endo specialist. On the other hand, I am really ready for this operation and do not want to delay it anymore. My partner says I’m just getting cold feet and worrying. What do you think? Has anyone had good experiences with general gynae’s or is an endo expert a must?? Thank you.

2 Replies

I think if you’re this close I would go for it. I was/am in a similar situation but I hadn’t got a date for my lap, I was put on the waiting list, then as I didn’t have a great deal of confidence in my general gyne I asked to be referred over to the specialist. This has been done, but it’s probably put my treatment back 6 months, and I’m really struggling with my symptoms. You need to do what’s right for you 👍🏻

Thank you so much for replying. I am so worried that if I have it done and they don’t find anything I’ll be wishing I had it done with a different surgeon! Good luck with everything 😊

You may also like...