Yesterday, after 22 years of "interstitial cystitis", 15 years of vaginal pain (I was told it was all in my head), and 14 years of suffering with "IBS", I was told by a consultant I have endometriosis and a polycystic ovary. I'm gobsmacked and don't know how to feel. Relieved that I finally got a diagnosis after being continually fobbed off by the NHS, but worried for my body and the future.
My consultation felt very rushed and I didn't have the chance to ask the consultant why he feels it's definitely endo. Because my husband and I are trying for a baby, my consultant won't take any action until we've been TTC for a year, which means another 9 months of pain and frustration. He says me getting pregnant will sort it out, but if it doesn't happen because I have underlying fertility issues, I could be waiting 9 months for nothing (although I have regular normal periods).
If I may give a bit TMI, I'd love to hear from anyone with symptoms similar to my own who could reassure me that yes, this sounds like endo:
- constant full feeling
- urgency of needing to pee
- occasional burning of my urethra when I pee
- burning sensation in my uretha during sex
- burning pain inside my vagina during sex, inserting tampons, foreplay, etc.
- IBS like symptoms of loose stools, upset stomach, constant nausea (I also have a miatus hernia)
Any thoughts / observations / questions welcome!