Sir, I am aged about 49+. I am type 2 diabetic for the past 4 years. From the last 2 years i used to take GLICOMET GP2 and lost weight 6%

(glimepiride 2mg +metformin500mg) twice a day. i observed that i lost my weight 4 kgs during the said period. from 66 to 62 Probably due to metformin. i am not obese . now i shifted to PIOGLAR-G (pioglitazone 15mg +glimepiride 2mg) twice .Can any one advice me whether there is chance of improving my weight with this prescription.

40 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Switch to Low Carb High fat diet and you may not even need any drugs. Moe than worying about eight you need to think on how to get sugar under control on least amount of drugs. LCHF is the way to do it. Search LCHF on forum and Google.

• Medfree, even 150 is OK for a sixty year old. My last HBA1C gives an average of 180. FYI, up to 205 average has a 2.5% probability of dreaded outcomes like neuropathy, organ and vision failure and amputation. Even with A1C of 10%, risk is up to ten percent. BS up to 126 is pre-diabetic.

• phlaunt.com/diabetes/140456...

Dr Bernstein is 80+ and Type1 and still he aims A1C < 5.0

There must be some valid reason for that!

• This is a blog! webMD, Mayo Clinic and American Diabetic Association differ from UK sites of medical practitioners. If you let me have your email, I will send you specific references. In trying to keep unrealistically low targets you could risk your immunity system . . .

• Well, honestly diabetics who take control of their diabetes in their own hand rarely believe ADA/Mayo and all such sites which parrot the same thing -- high carb low fat -- as what ADA says.

phlaunt.com/diabetes/140456...

• If you search for diabetes management standards for over 60, you will find big changes. Having a low blood glucose target means you hamper the immunity system!!

Graydon S. Meneilly MD, FRCPC, FACP Aileen Knip RN, MN, CDE Daniel Tessier MD, MSc, FRCPC

Of Canadian Diabetes Association Clinical Practice Guidelines Expert Committee reported:

Diabetes in the elderly is metabolically distinct from diabetes in younger people and the approach to therapy should be different.

And RECOMMENDED: A new recommendation for glycemic targets among the frail elderly of glycated hemoglobin (A1C) ≤8.5%, and fasting and pre prandial plasma glucose of 5.0 to 12.0 mmol/L has been added.

(Mind you elderly is 60 and over)

You will find that instead of A1C of < 5.6%, 8% is now the target of medical practitioners in UK and many other countries.

• Sometimes metformine is responsible for wt. loss.since you have stopped it you may recover the lost weight. If your sugar levels are high that can also cause weight loss.

• Thank u sir

• Sir, if you have been taking medicine for 4 years, either your diabetes is too bad or your doctor is conservative. Normally 7% weight loss is recommended + 'disciplined' intake of carbohydrate and exercise to bring blood glucose within acceptable range. I am 61. First time I reversed Diabetes in 2005. Had an attack in 2008 and I think I managed to reverse (at least control) it. On Jan 11 this year my fasting glucose was 212 and HBA1C 11.6%. Improved without any medicine to random < 200 and HBA1C 7.9%. Metformin is generally almost the safest of all medicines for Type II as applicable to most situations. However, even this this (Glucophage) regularly almost means in year 11 you will be like Type I, Insulin dependent. Email me, I am willing to share experiences of many people and research sites. efar52@gmail.com

• Random should be < 120.

< 200 is too bad a limit.

LOW CARB HIGH FAT Diet has diabetics who have dropped A1C from 12 to 5.6 and are without any drugs. You are right, if people just keep eating like non diabetic and the High Carb Low fat nonsense then they are surely going to be insulin dependent at some stage.

• Medfree, even 150 is OK for a sixty year old. My last HBA1C gives an average of 180. FYI, up to 205 average has a 2.5% probability of dreaded outcomes like neuropathy, organ and vision failure and amputation. Even with A1C of 10%, risk is up to ten percent. BS up to 126 is pre-diabetic.

• I have replied to this. British medical practitioners are happy with A1C in 6.0 - 8.0 range!

• And no surprise --

diabetes.org.uk/About_us/Ne...

That range is perfect recipe for disaster. This is just heart related complications. Similar tends are there for ESRD. 40% diabetics develop Kidney issues of some sot or the other.

• Yes quite often after becoming like Type I. Taking diabetic medicine piushes the patient to stop making insulin...

• That's why :LCHF comes into play. 60% Type 2 would not need any drugs if LCHF was preached. But then this would have meant huge loss to medicare business so 60% carbs is being pushed down the throat of diabetics also.

• Metformin enhances prospects for insulin therapy . .

• Yes, that is the intent. I'd be very happy with 7%

• And for me even 6 is red flag.

• Not rediabetc but diabetic.

• sharmamp123@rediffmail.com

• Thank u sir

• My blood sugar Fasting 160 and PP 240, i am taking CitapineXR 500 once in the morning, 6 month before my Fasting was reduced to 120 but now it is again increased to 170, i am not taking any sweet. taking 4 chapati in a day. Should I add glimpride 2mg in my doss

• That's the beauty of High Carb Low Fat diet + Drugs that ADA/Mayoclinic etc recommend. You will have to keep increasing the drug dose, keep adding more drugs till you finally each a stage where you will need INSULIN Shots.

If you really care about controlling sugar levels on less drugs or ZERO drugs, start looking at LCHF diet. If that's not possible then please i crease dose of drugs as next step. Your doctor will be more than happy to do it for you.

• Are you out of range on BMI parameter?

• sir My BMI is 25.40 .thank u for your valuable discussion

• Please consult your physician .I do not think that pioglitazone is a good remady.

J.K.Misra

• thank u sir

• Medfree:

If you search for diabetes management standards for over 60, you will find big changes. Having a low blood glucose target means you hamper the immunity system!!

Graydon S. Meneilly MD, FRCPC, FACP Aileen Knip RN, MN, CDE Daniel Tessier MD, MSc, FRCPC

Of Canadian Diabetes Association Clinical Practice Guidelines Expert Committee reported:

Diabetes in the elderly is metabolically distinct from diabetes in younger people and the approach to therapy should be different.

And RECOMMENDED: A new recommendation for glycemic targets among the frail elderly of glycated hemoglobin (A1C) ≤8.5%, and fasting and pre prandial plasma glucose of 5.0 to 12.0 mmol/L has been added.

You will find that instead of A1C of < 5.6%, 8% is now the target of medical practitioners in UK and many other countries.

• Medfree:

If you search for diabetes management standards for over 60, you will find big changes. Having a low blood glucose target means you hamper the immunity system!!

• Look at it this way:

8 is set as "safe range" because entire medicare business is centered around pushing 60% CARBS (and the stupid low fat theory) to everyone irrespective of medical history. ADA cannot shed its EGO because it is funded by the very lobby that wants drugs and food to sell. Pl read the book by Dr Bernstein. Most of these studies are done by NON Diabetics who impose these fatal values on Diabetics. It is because of this that diabetics land with kidney/heart complications. Pl read the link that i posted elsewhere -- the site is bloodsugar101.com/

I know we will not agree with each other because for me ADA standards themselves are flawed. Fierst they want to SPIKE you with CARBS and then cover it up with DRUGS/Insulin. The harder you SPIKE the more difficult it becomes to control This is why 8 is called safe whereas diabetics who are against ADA are aiming for 5% club. There's absolutely no basis of immunity and sugar level. Drinking a can of COKE reduces immunity for 30 minutes. Lowering sugar to non diabetic levels never will.

As for these researches, well they can prove anything. And if they are unable to prove what they want to prove they just brush the entire study under the carpet -- like this one --

healthunlocked.com/diabetes...

• Medfree: Sir, the aspartame type (sugar substitute) lobby is also around! No, it is not true they are promoting the 45% - 65% calorie for diabetics any more! A cap of 150 grams on a 2k+ daily diet translates to 30% or less!

• There's one man common between Aspartame and TamiFlu vaccine -- Donald Rumsfeld.

Pl check -- bloodsugar101.com/ somewhere she mentions that if you go beyond 120 or so (she is on 120 gms carbs and 60%+ fat since decades) then make sure fat is no more than 30%. The site owner is herself a type 2 (MODY). Butter by itself is excellent but the moment you put that butter on slice of bread then its poison in long term.

• Yes butter could be poison on white bleached, refined flour!

• Butter is poison for any HIGH CARB Diet. Bread was just an example. This is why LCHF is based on premise of reducing CARBS ... lower the better. 20% CARBS has been found to be good to go level for LCHF. Butter is poison even if put on Brown bread, whole bread etc etc.

• Yes I am working on it.

BTW: If you search for diabetes management standards for over 60, you will find big changes. Having a low blood glucose target means you hamper the immunity system!!

• in my view you focus to reduce your sugar level rather weight. Have planned day - stick to the medication given by doctor. Have faith in yourself / whatever you do, avoid stress. Have schedule day, change in lifestyle require, Vegetarian diet , meditation is a good solution.

Pranic Healing is a non touch technique, by which we can regenerate the organs. Pranic Crystal Healing is also a faster option. You can contact me on ravindra_lande@yahoo.co.in for further more details.

• My BMI is 25.40 thank u..but the weight loss caused loss of look.that is my worry.thank u for your responce

• Yes your diet may need review. First point to start would perhaps be protein. Beans & Legumes. I love gram dall but found that Black chickpea (lower price whole channa) does not whack the blood sugar much! Take it cool. You have all the time in the world at hand.

• may you please submit your FBS,PPBS,S.Creatinin. only then any advise may be given

You may also like...