Do not Despair, You can Defeat Diabetes

I am excited to say this today after being a victim to the ravages of diabetes for the past twenty seven years. I was diagnosed a diabetic at the age of fifty and put on medications. I was told to avoid sweets and eat less quantities of foods like rice, potatoes, bananas etc. But sugar levels remained high and medicines were changed for stronger ones and higher doses. Gradually over the years my eye-sight deteriorated with cataract and retinopathy, developed high BP, ischemic heart disease and neuropathy in both lower limbs. I was daily swallowing so many pills for all these diseases and was more or less resigned to lead a life of misery.

It was then by the grace of God that at the beginning of this month (May ’13) I stumbled upon the Indian Diabetic Forum on the net. Reading the posts there on the low carb diet was an eye opener for me and I decided to try it out immediately. On the 8th night I had a totally grain-free meal and the next morning the FBS reading was 104 instead of the usual range of 160 – 180! Since then I have drastically reduced grain based foods (bread, chapatti, rice etc.) in my diet and BS levels have been consistently normal. I have also reduced the insulin and metformin doses. This has brought me joy and hope that at last I will be able to beat this demon of diabetes. My brothers and sisters suffering from the miseries of diabetes, just try it, you will lose nothing but will be surprised by the results.

14 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Great to hear this. We know you have been in communication with Anup who has lost his rights to post here else he would have been first to reply. We are also sure that with your experience you will guide all diabetics around you to adopt this diet based approach and reduce medicine consumption and have far better control that PILLS can ever offer. Pl educ te all diabetics that you come in personal contact with that MEDICINES and PILLS are really not the answer. Diet can work wonders as you yourself have experienced and we have been talking all along. There's one more blogger who posts on Cutting down CARBS drastic ally to 100-140 grams and i am sure like us even he/she would be happy to see this.

Wish you many happy years ahead and now that you have TAMED this beat don't let it stare back at you again. Stare back at it and live life on lesser and lesser pills with better and better control.

Keep all of us posted about your progress on reduction of medicines.

Thanks

DLife.in/

• Thank you, friend. We all must do our bit to reduce pain and misery in this world. Anup has already written to encourage me in this respect.

• Sure Sir.

He is passionately against PILLS and PROCEDURES for controlling Sugar in Type 2 diabetics. He gradually became one of the most hated persons here. But that doesn't deter his spirits at all because he says when you go against a system (what he called NEXUS in his words) be prepared to be hated. Medicare is BUSINESS and no business can prosper by losing customers. So why would anyone in the entire system tell anyone that DIET works wonders because that leads to a recurring loss of cash to businesses that want you money as a diabetic.

Thanks

DLife.in/

• anup is right dear acccept

• Of course I'm pleased :-)

• Mr.George,Please tell us what exactly you ate for dinner without carbohydrates?I congratulate you on your success.

• Thank you I was expecting this query. Well I try different menus on different days. One day I have boiled mong seasoned with grated coconut and spices along with a cucumber salad. Another day I have the same meal but with Bengal gram instead of Moog dal. Some nights I take just a soup made of several vegetables and a table spoon of oats added for thickness. You can have a meal of salad alone and you can use a variety of vegetables for this such as cucumber, carrot, lettuce, cabbage, cauliflower, onion, green chillies (big ones) green peas, beans etc., seasoned with lemon or apple vinegar. You should make it an adventure to prepare a grain-less meal.

• Great.It is inspiring.

• While venturing into GRAIN LESS diet (Switching from 60% CARBS to LOW CARB Basically) if one is on medicines then a close watch is needed on blood sugar levels as levels will fall (like in case of Mr George a 60 point drop) like a rock so medicines will have to be quickly adjusted. In many cases one can get off all anti diabetic drugs. We have cases where people with A1C of 15 have come down to < 5.5 and gone off all diabetes medicines.

When Average Blood Glucose gets lower, all other health parameters will also improve in long run. A Diabetic should aim for A1C of < 5.5 as 6-7 limit of ADA is a big NONSENSE and that limit is set so that 60% CARBS c an be fed to a diabetic which is nothing but a CRUEL Joke on a a diabetic.

Thanks

DLife.in/

• And this is the thread from where association of Mr George with new lifestyle started:

diabetesindia.healthunlocke...

Thanks

Dlife.in/

• BESIDES THESE FOOD ANY OTHER TYPE FOOD IS THERE TO SUGGEST. MY SELF IS HAVING "IDDALI OR DOSA" - COMBINATION OF RICE AND URUD DAL IN MOST OF THE DAYS AND SOMETIMES DOSA MADE WITH ATTA (WHEAT FLOUR), OR SEMOLINA. REQUEST TO ADVISE MORE ON THIS FROM EVERYBODY.

• TRY CUTTING DOWN on IDLI DOSA UPMA and substitute with more of Vegetables to fill you up. Add more NUTS, CAULIFLOWER (and no potatoe) to the Masala that you add to Dosa, the coconut chutney that you make. URUD is all starchy and hence spikes more.

Unfortunately Grains will have to be eliminated or drastically reduced if you want better control on lesser / no medicines. Diet has to CHANGE. You yourself can see in case of Mr George, his leves are running around 60 points lower at much lesser insulin an d medicines. Once levels run in range overall health improves and medicines for other complications will also reduce in long term.

If you eat what DOCTOR tells you then higher dose of MEDICINES with worse control of sugar is only solution because on such a diet you can never come down below 6.0 A1C safely.

Thanks

DLife.in/

• TAKING MEDICINES ALONE WILL NOT BRING DOWN BLOOD SUGAR ALWAYS. YOU HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR FOOD HABITS & LIFE STYLE ALSO.

Please read MY REPLIES part 1 & 2 to question AT diabetesindia.healthunlocke...

If you have still more doubts on DIABETES & ITS CURE, PLEASE COME BACK HERE.

• That is great I am cutting out my carb and also important to mention that I ran just a test today after my lunch I measure my sugar after 3 hours showed 208

I just had a nap

I thought let me walk for an 1 hour and then measure what difference it makes

To my surprise my sugar after 1 hour walk dropped to 80

It proves may be to walk a mile after dinner which can easily burn sugar of 50 to 70

So movement is very important

You may also like...