- Foot problems, hospitalization or infection are preventable
- Regular foot check-ups every year to detect foot problems at an early stage
- Control your diabetes
- Stop smoking/ tobacco/ alcohol
- Inspect your feet every day if needed use a mirror or ask your family members or friends.
- Report: hard skin, corns, breaks in the skin, infections, colour changes, ulcers.
- Keep feet clean with lukewarm water & soap and dry. If skin is very dry, use creams, if humid, use powder
- Use proper sized cotton socks & change it daily.
- Inspect your shoes ( for crack or foreign body).
- File your nail instead of cutting.
- Walk regularly, thus blood circulation will improve.
- Wear soft, comfortable & well fitting shoes.
- Wear new shoes just for half an hour in the beginning
- Avoid walking barefoot
- Do not apply nail polish and mehndi over toes
- Do not use strong astringent lotions and corn cures
- Save your foot from extremes of temperature (hot or cold)
- Avoid bathroom surgery