Risky or not?

Due to work commitments I'm finding it difficult to get to my Spinning classes (I've been doing 5-6 a week for a very long time) and am thinking that some running would be easier to fit in.

However I have suffered for years with sciatica (which curiously disappears when I Spin regularly) and am worried running might aggravate it.

Any views on this?

PS I haven't been running for over 20 years.

5 Replies

• Not sure about whether running would aggravate it. Maybe try it, start slowly and see how you get on

• That's probably a question for your doctor. You have nothing to lose by trying it and seeing, as GF suggested.

Whilst running is a great thing to do, you would have to do quite a lot of it or a moderate amount at great speed to get the same effect as a Spin session, though.

• I know :-(

I probably need to beat the job into shape and keep spinning.

Thank you :-)

• Hmmm. All I can say is that I am prone to a dodgy lower back and some sciatica and don't find running a problem. However I do manage a Pilates class each week and am conscious about posture when running (or anything). Of course, the cause of your back problems and my back problems are likely to be different.

• I 'hate' doctors and have found it takes them ages (and me lots of money) for them to come up with anything.

I'm going to see if I can manage the job a bit better and keep spinning.

Thank you x

You may also like...