What and When to eat before running?

What and when do most people eat before going out for a run? I normally run in the evening after my evening meal but sometimes ( depending on what I've had to eat) it makes me feel lethargic rather than giving me energy. I've tried running on a Saturday in the day but can't seem to get my timing right - it's either much later than lunch and too early for tea so don't feel as though I have enough stamina to keep going. My daughter went out for a run last Saturday morning after breakfast but felt light headed about 10 minutes after starting off and felt that her run was stop / start all the way. Any tips for what to eat and when to eat it to provide enough energy to complete a run? Thanks as always for any help.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I like to run early and have half a banana and some water or a small coffee about 20 minutes before I go out. Then I have breakfast when I get back. If I had my meals before running I think I would then eat more when I got back. Occasionally I run in the afternoon and then I have porridge around 1.00 and run about 2.30. I wouldn't want my evening meal and run after, I feel too full and lethargic then, plus its wine gum time then in my house! x

• I run after the kid is at school, having had peanut butter on whole wheat toast and a cup of coffee an hour or so before my run. I make sure the piece of fruit Laura recommends for after is waiting for me, cause i do want it!

• Cripes, I could not imagine running after a big evening meal. I would probably throw up. I either run before breakfast (but after a mug of tea/coffee & a banana) or about an hour after a light lunch (eg mackerel & toast) or before my evening meal. 3-5km is not really that far and you should not need to fill yourself full of extra calories before you do it.

• I run in the evening but before my evening meal. I usually have a glass of water before heading out and I find that even if I'm really hungry, it soon disappears after a run but after my shower I'm ready (and looking forward) to my tea!

You may also like...