Painful Ankle - Help! How long to rest? What to do? Strengthening exercises?

My ankle is ruined I reckon.

It had been sore for a while (two weeks ago, and especially so these last few days) but I ran on it today thinking that it was feeling ok - mistake. Now I am a limpy girl and the ankle has swollen up quite badly.

It's swollen on the outside under the sticky-outy bone thing (what is that called?), and hurts when I press on it.

Here are my questions: How long should I rest it for? Should I get a support bandage? Am I doing my ankle lasting damage by trying to be a runner (since I have flat feet and weird ankles anyway)? What should I doooooooo??

Any help would be v much appreciated, for I am worried/frustrated.

2 Replies

• Ice and rest the ankle for now. Once it's feeling better, build up your running distance really gradually.

Have you had gait analysis to help you choose your running shoes ? If not, get along to a decent running shop once your ankle has recovered and they should be able to advise you.

Or you may need to consult a podiatrist.

There's a bit about it here:

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be able to run comfortably, you just need to find a way to make it work for you.

• Thanks so much for answering, you are reassuring! I haven't had gait analysis for running done (had advice for hiking boots but that's a whole other something). Alas, I live in China now and decent running shops are hard to find out here, as are members of staff that speak any English. Maybe I need to leave it until I return to the UK...

You may also like...