Healing CLL naturally

Hi there, my partner who is 46 has been diagnosed with CLL a few months ago and the doctors said he wouldn’t need chemo for around 6 months based on his hemoglobin levels. So we thought we would give the healing naturally a go after doing lots of research into it. Each month his hemoglobin has been decreasing and this month it increased and went from 114 to 116. His lymph nodes however have continued to grow which is worrying me as was so excited to hear his hemoglobin increased. He is following a plant based diet.

My question is has anyone on here tried to healed naturally through diet, if so how did it go?

And can anyone explain to me how his hemoglobin could reverse while his lymph nodes continue to increase? I’m probably just being impatient and need to give things more time as I know healing naturally if it works can take a looong time!

Thanks

Carla

44 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi Carla,

I know how much we want to hold onto any improvements in our blood counts or those of our loved ones, but realistically, a change of 2 is within the precision limits of the test equipment. The best precision I've seen quoted for haemoglobin is +/-1 and the worst +/-3 (i.e you could get a change of up to 6 in repeated testing of the same blood sample at that laboratory). I have seen my haemoglobin vary between 120 and 128 over the past year; last test it was 123. What's important is the overall trend. Hopefully that up tick is the start of an upwards trend, but you need some higher counts to confirm it. This is most likely why his haemoglobin has apparently improved while his lymph nodes continue to increase, although if you do see a definite improvement in his haemoglobin, that could be due to CLL infiltration of the bone marrow lessening (which would be rather unusual, because even some treatments used in clinical trials weren't very successful at doing that).

If you are keen on looking into natural ways to deal with CLL, it is essential to understand when there are real changes in haemoglobin, platelet, lymphocyte counts, etc, and not just noise due to measurement accuracy limitations and natural variability. I've covered some of that in this post:

healthunlocked.com/cllsuppo...

There is about a 1% chance of remission in CLL and one would hope that improving our diet and fitness would improve our chances of achieving that. Realistically, most of us would just see the benefits of improved overall health though, I expect.

This post references a good article on navigating complementary cancer treatments: healthunlocked.com/cllsuppo...

Neil

15 likes

Thanks for that Neil, we hadn’t even thought about that and now that you say it, i don’t know why we hadn’t. I guess optimism can carry you away at times.

Onwards and upwards though

Cheers

Carla

9 likes

Hi!! It may be that he has SLL like me. It’s same as CLL but SLL is mainly in the lymph nodes. Have u asked if he can take the imbruvuca pill instead of doing FCR?

1 like

No we haven’t, we will inquire about it at his next appointment. Thanks

2 likes

Might suggest getting B12 and folate levels checked...often need supplementation or injections... pretty common on vegan or high veg diets...

Certainly can effect red blood counts

vegansociety.com/resources/...

~chris

3 likes

My husband has CLL, and we have been pesco vegetarians (we eat fish) for years prior to his diagnosis in December, 2015. However, when my husband was diagnosed, I added additional supplements to his regime, like liposomal vitamin C, we stopped eating eggs, and cheese (the only dairy we ate), I threw out all the boxed pasta in the house, we only eat a plant based diet now. We didn't eat processed foods before except for pasta occassionly, and still don't, also no bread or refined carbs, and everything we eat is organic.

I own an organic skincare company, so I make all my own natural, toxic free cleaning products, and when we needed a new bed this year, we even bought an organic latex mattress bed, as it doens't emit any harmful chemicals and isn't treated with flame retardant chemicals.

I guess what I'm saying, is I believe we all need to ensure we are living in a toxic free environment, in and outside our home. We only have organic fertilizer applied to the lawn as well. No pesticides allowed. We can't just stop at the food we eat. It's the whole package - everything we come in contact with that affects our health and well being.

I had read about apricot seeds and indigenous people who have a diet high in B17, which is what apricot seeds are as well, and how they don't get CLL and cancers. What the heck, it's like eating an almond, so he has those everyday. I buy alkaline water for him to take to work, and in our state the water is fluoridated, so we have a water filter that filters for the usual things plus removes the fluoride, which is one of the most poisonous substances, and it's put in our water! Also, only natural toothpaste as well, no fluoride toothpastes.

My husband was also taking B17 in capsule form, and it did appear to be working on his enlarged lymph nodes, which were slowly responding and getting smaller. However, his spleen was enlarging at a rapid pace, and nothing we were trying up to this point was having any impact on it's growth.

So, the doctor said it was time to treat him, and this was at the end of July this year. He scheduled a CT scan and bone marrow biopsy for August, and wanted him to start Ibrutinib right afterward. We had a much needed family trip scheduled for the end of August, and felt it would be best to wait until we got back before starting treatment, in case he had a bad reaction, or it made him feel unwell, we'd be too far from his doctor, and it could spoil his fun.

My daughter had been after us to start juicing. We had tried it once early on after diagnosis, but we didn't get the hang of it, and abandoned it. But, when my husband had to go into the hospital on August 1st to have another stent put in, we took the juicer out again, and began juicing.

And we took the juicer with us on vacation. We rented a house on a lake, in a quaint town, and drove there, so we packed our organic veggies, and he has had the juice everyday since.

We started the juicing just three and half weeks before he was to start treatment. When we went to that appointment, it was quite amazing. His spleen which had been 12cm by exam, (what the doctor can feel) (but it actually was 20cm total as some is under the ribs and can't be felt), his spleen was now 8 cm. It reduced in size by 4 cm, and his doctor had told us from the get go that there is nothing my husband could do to shrink his spleen down. Hmm, not true!

Also, his quite large lymph nodes either went down by 2+cm, or were for the first time not any larger. A few he could hardly feel. And his blood work was all improved. His platelets were in a normal range for the first time since diagnosis. The only thing we added was the juicing. It seemed to be the extra kick his body needed to begin healing. I believe our bodies are capable of miraculous things if given the right "tools" to carry out the job.

Nutrition is never a bad thing. If it a food isn't nutritious and healthy we don't buy it or eat it. We are very strict. I feel when disease is acute, one needs to be very careful about what is put into one's body. For us, this was confirmation we are on the right track.

Others can think what they wish, but our protocol is working for my husband. He has his monthly appointment this week, so we shall see how his body is doing now with more weeks of juicing under his belt.

When I get going, I end up with these long posts, so I apologize for the length, but you did ask what experiences others have had with a natural approach. Most here don't approve of supplements, so I won't go into what else he takes. I also throw the apricot seeds in our weekend smoothies as well. I think it's the combination that is assisting with his CLL. Someone said it takes more than one fire truck to put out the fire - we have multiple fire trucks on hand.

Wishing you both the best.

17 likes

Hi Crystalsky and thank you for sharing more of what you and your husband are undertaking to improve your health. Good to hear that your husband's swollen spleen has shown an unexpected and welcome improvement and he has seen an improvement in some of his nodes.

This community does encourage the use of supplements, where evidence shows that they are likely to be beneficial. That's sadly not the case for much of what you are doing:

Regarding the Hunza and apricot seeds/B17/Laetrile - you might find this alternative medicine blog of interest (not that I'm endorsing it): alternative-doctor.com/anti... or this:

cancer.gov/about-cancer/tre...

Fluoride - in common with other salts can be beneficial or toxic depending on the dose. It's very hard to remove from water and many filters that claim to do so, don't. Are you using a filter process that will work per this site's recommendations? thoughtco.com/remove-fluori...

I hope you aren't drinking too much black tea or table wine either - both contain higher concentrations of fluoride than town water to which fluoride has been added: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoride

Finally your body needs to maintain a very finely balanced pH value to function and counterbalances any alkaline water to maintain cellular functions:

scienceblog.cancerresearchu...

Or this more detailed biological explanation: sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpr...

I admire you and your husband for your hard work in trying to beat CLL, but I would encourage you to re-examine the scientific evidence behind some of what you are doing.

Neil

6 likes

Thank you for sharing. I have recently started juicing also. Can you tell me what specific veggies and fruit he uses ?

There is a comment below where crystalsky talked about juicing.

We use carrot, beets, kale and turmeric.

Cheers

Thank you :)

Dear Crystalsky. I have added more 'fire trucks" in my new reply to Woggysmith. Thanks for yours. Patrick

I have been diagnosed with CLL, and have been reading a lot of books on healing cancer naturally. I became a little discouraged never finding someone talking about healing CLL, mostly cancers with tumors. Finding this site and reading your post has sparked new hope that all the juicing, vitamins, tinctures, Essiac (A Native herbal cancer remedy) diet can make a difference with a blood cancer! Where would I find apricot seeds? I am having painful twitching in lymph nodes, and am thinking these seeds could be helpful. I really want to let you know how hopeful I feel reading your post. I will continue my juicing. I need to be more diligent in eliminating toxic products from our home and body...how are things going with your husband? Please keep us updated, we truly care for you! Stephen and Jaye

Hi Hummingbirdflies,

Every time I answer someone's question, I get scolded for promoting non-scientific methods of treating CLL (or namely non-pharmaceutical methods), so I think I should private message you regarding the apricot seeds.

I was even scolded for signing the praises of a plant based diet. Good nutrition with real, pyhto-acitve food was frowned upon! How can eating amazing fresh fruits and veggies be a bad thing? And encouraging others to avoid GMO foods, processed food, etc. If someone can afford to buy a box of macaroni and cheese, they can certainly afford for instance, to buy an apple instead. But, I was scolded for this.

Anyway, my husband is making his doctor very happy. He said he is at a point where other of his patients have taken nine months to get to. My husband did start Ibrutinib this last September, due to his huge spleen, and complete lymph node infiltration, which were also large and impacting his other organs.

However, he takes B17 from apricot seeds, consumes 15 apricot seeds a day, and he also takes Essiac, vitamins, minerals, and COQ10, to help ward off any heart problems due to the drug. He takes others, but again, I won't mention them here.

Very recently, the British Medical Journal reported on a woman who healed her multiple myloma by taking only cucumin. She is now cancer free. It's not CLL, but it's like a cousin to CLL. There most likely are people who have healed their CLL following a natural protocol, but not enough known cases to be reported. One needs to begin a healing protocol at diagnosis, before needing treatment, because to refuse treatment when it's critically needed would be dangerous no doubt.

My husband progressed very quickly. We didn't have a lot of time. It takes time to work. However, at his appointment that was made for when he would begin treatment, his lymph nodes had reduced in size by half, his spleen had reduced in size by 6-8 cm, and his blood work all improved. We should have said right then and there, that we wanted to wait until the next month's blood work and appointment to begin, if needed. Because once they have you on a pharma drug, it's hard to go back.

My husband will have his blood work done tomorrow, so I can let you know how that goes. He feels marvelous, so I can only assume things are still going in the right direction. All his lymph nodes and spleen are back to normal size.

Thank you for your kind words. I'll message you the info.

1 like

Crystalsky , it is great to read what you are doing and the positive results . Would you able to share more detail on what juices you are making and the quantities being consumed daily . I also have quite the regime which includes frozen sprouted wheat grass and some juices but I feel I need to add more juice . Anything you can share would be most welcomed as we have to help ourselves while we are able to. Please keep posted his progress.

5 likes

We juice the following, which makes a batch lasting for a few days. Everything is organic, unless it's unavailable in organic:

15-16 large carrots, 4 cucumbers, 3 lemons, 4 beets with the leaves/stalks, 1 bunch of tuscan kale, 1 chunk of ginger, 3 radishes, 4 stalks of celery, 8 apples with skin and seeds, 20 strawberries. I store it in glass jugs in the fridge. Need to shake before pouring as it settles.

My husband drinks 8 ounces in the morning and 8 ounces in the evening.

We have a Jack La Lane juicer, which I don't think they make any longer. It's a bit of a pain to clean up, but well worth the health benefits.

It's concentrated nutrition, feeding the body with amazing nutrients. As the father of medicine said, "Let food be thy medicine, and medicine be thy food."

Synthetic drugs are hard on the body, because they aren't recognized by the body. They aren't found in nature. They are a foreign substance. I believe Mother Nature has provided a cure for any aliment that will befall man. We just haven't discovered them all. But, pharmaceutical companies are only interested in what they can cook up in the lab and patent. That's their business.

I won't defend our choices. It's what is working for my husband. He is in good health otherwise, and good nutritional choices only help to support our body's natural functions. Others can do as they wish.

We believe in whole, nutritious, mostly raw food. Of course no alcohol, sugar, processed carbs, junk food, soda, processed salt, bad fats, and no GMO foods, etc. We do not consume foods made with soy or canola oil, or use those in any way. However, if you are eating a mostly raw, whole foods diet you won't have to be concerned about consuming soy or canola oil.

I actually will be ordering wheat grass seeds to sprout myself. They apparently sprout quickly, and it's so healthy. Currently, my husband takes an organic wheat grass supplement, but direct food sources are of course preferred.

7 likes

Crystalsky, thanks for sending your juice recipe and other info . My hat goes off to you! It takes a lot of dedication and effort to do what you are doing.

I’ve been juicing on and off but I needed a push to get it back into my regime. Thanks .

Just a little more about sprouted wheat grass , one has to be careful about mold being in it. You should be ok as you’ll be doing your own. The frozen organic sprouted wheat grass I use is to be drank without mixing. If you mix it in a smoothie or juice ++ it destroys the enzymes . Lots of info on their web site dynamicgreens.com

All the best !

2 likes

I have SLL, while my blood results are fine, I can feel new lymph nodes slowly getting bigger. I am planning on juicing, I'm just in the process of trying to figure out which juicer to buy. Thanks for the recipe, I will try it, hopefully soon.

2 likes

Thank you for your descriptions Crystalsky. I hope you maintain your positive attitude, it helps. Bests Patrick

1 like

I am pleased to read that your efforts seem to be producing results and in eliminating all toxins you must be giving your bodies every assistance.

The only problem I have in reading your account is that for many years previously you seemed to have been followed a similar regime but your husband still got CLL, as of course we all have otherwise we wouldn't be here! You also mention he needed to have another operation for an additional stent. I hate to sound really cynical about your post but I was very shocked when I was diagnosed with CLL but was told there was nothing I had done which caused it. I used to play football regularly, took part in martial arts, ran marathons and actually took men's keep fit classes twice a week!

It just seems to me that for all your previous healthy living he still did not avoid the bullet!

I do however admire what you are doing and if it works for you more power to your elbow.

4 likes

Doctors always tell their patients they haven't caused their cancer. Regardless, the state of our environment is having a detrimental affect on the health of everyone on this earth. Pesticide use and GMO foods are destroying our soils, and wrecking havoc on Mother Nature. We need to arm ourselves by taking the best care we can of our bodies.

My husband was an avid golfer in his younger years, and he told me he would lick his golf ball to get it clean. Ewww, I know, but that ball was rolling around on grass treated with fertilizer and weed killers. He didn't always have the best lifestyle. He smoked for years. He quit. He started again. He quit. He started smoking cigars, then skinny cigars, which to me are just like cigarettes but in brown paper. He ate red meat (I didn't), he had a sugar tooth, he was overweight. He didn't exercise. More people who are overweight apparently get cancer. Or maybe the overweight people are eating too much sugar, which contributes to being overweight - who knows.

Finally, I convinced him to take better care of himself, and he began playing racquetball ball four times a week, and lifting weights. He worked with a trainer, and lost almost 40 pounds. He ate better, and finally gave up red meat. But the damage was done. He had a heart attack five years ago, and had a stent put in.

I feel if he hadn't been active at this point, it would have been fatal, as it was in his main artery. But the heart is a muscle, and his was strong and otherwise in good shape. And finally, he stopped smoking. It took a heart attack for that one to happen.

So, my husband has not been a pillar of health, or a healthy lifestyle all his life. So, perhaps all these assaults eventually led to his cells mutating and becoming cancerous. Perhaps, if he still was following that way of eating and living, his cancer would be in a worse state. So, when you say, "for many years previously you seemed to have been followed a similar regime but your husband still got CLL," you can see he hasn't followed this his whole life. He did contribute to his health issues. We can improve our health obviously by being active, and eating a clean, healthy diet. And not smoking of course.

Knock on wood, he doesn't get sick, hasn't needed any immune boosting injections, and he feels good. That's all I can tell you. It works for him.

6 likes

Thanks so much for all the information crystalsky you have shared. I really appreciate it. And congratulations on the progress you have made. I know how much time and effort goes into this lifestyle.

I know not everyone is a believer and each to their own. I believe diet can cure many illnesses and we are going to try and do it this way so it’s very refreshing to hear from you.

We do the juicing every day, I make his juices of a morning and store them in mason jars filled to the top so they don’t loose nutritional value and he takes them to work, he has 3 8 ounce juices every day usually carrot, beet, carrot and turmeric. We do all organic and I have just started growing my own veggies as it’s spring in New Zealand. We do the no sugar, no processed food, no alcohol etc as you do. But where we might be going wrong is the carbs????

So your husband doesn’t have any brown rice? Oats or home made gluten free bread?

My partner has lost a lot of weight when we were completely raw he was just getting too thin, he is 6.2 ft and is now as skinny as a bean pole so I started making my own gluten free sourdough. Brown rice sushi or home made gluten free pasta with flaxseed egg for dinner and he has oats for breakfast.

How did you avoid weight lost? And what type of meals do you make for your husband. My partner doesn’t cook so I do all the cooking for him and we have very young children so it’s nice to occasionally cook a meal we can all eat.

He has also been having vit C by IV and the sachets also.

I will look into the b12 now so thanks for that.

Thanks again. Carla

Hi crystalsky,

Thank you for writing about all that you do to try to follow a healthier lifestyle. I for one believe that it is worthwhile to give it our best and incorporate what we see fit into our daily lives even if it means taking our chances in some cases .

I mean...not every-single thing has been thoroughly researched and even when when we think they have, it turns out there's suddenly a new finding, so there's plenty out there that we still don't know 100 percent.

Anyway...kudos to your husband for having made so many changes and giving up a variety of "vices". I say that because I just had to give up sugar/carbs and I still find that to be the most difficult thing in the world...haha!

So...good thing I don't smoke or drink because then it would all be just too much for me...lol!

And while I give kudos to him, I give even more to you, for being so instrumental in all these changes....and I enjoyed reading about all that you're doing and at same time thinking I wish you could both adopt me, so I can too enjoy all those benefits....LOL!

Just kidding of course!! But keep up the good work and best wishes for continued positive results!

1 like

Thank you so much for your kind words. Sugar and carbs are addicting. But believe me when I tell you, before long you will no longer miss them, and you will instead be craving real food, like munching on organic carrots and humus, or pistachio nuts. Hang in there, it gets better - in fact - it gets great!

2 likes

I don't think you can heal CLL with healthy living but you might slow down the inevitable. Start thinking about treatment now, FCR is the old gold standard for treatment but chemo is poison and akin to 'Carpet Bombing', whereas modern treatments are 'Guided Missiles'.

My diagnosis, probably like everybody else's, after the shock, sent me looking for remedies.

I tried Oriental medicines said to have worked, like Red Palm Oil and Green Tea etc., some times my levels went down, and I thought I had the cure, but eventually they went up again and after seven years of W & W I needed treatment.

So live healthily anyway, cut out alcohol, it is poison, reduce salt and sugar, lose weight if you need to, exercise daily and you may extend your W & W. There are some that need treatment on diagnosis and some that are thirty years diagnosed without treament and who knows by the time you need treatment they may have found a cure. A cure would be nice but treatment that gives us a full life is just as good, we are none of us here forever!

6 likes

as long as we are writing about non-oncological options, I have a sense that CLL (and most cancers) are both genetic and metabolism based. After my CLL diagnosis I left a very high stress job. My blood tests show a marked improvement in my counts. Not a cure (of course) but I believe I've slowed the progression. I also have maintained a meditation routine, exercise routine, cut red meat, gluten, lactose, and sugar. My routines are centered around reducing inflammation from things I eat and think. I'm interested to hear more from those who have made lifestyle changes and to see what the results have been.

6 likes

I am doing the same. My ALC is slowly climbing but still in the normal range. I took 3 months off this year before returning to work. My ALC was exactly the same before I took the break and then after the 3 months. After being at work for 6 weeks, I had blood work done for my family doctor and my ALC jumped 30%. I reduced my workload, hopefully it will slow things down for me again.

1 like

I wonder if these folks who got a spontaneous regression had any healthy lifestyle hacks -- unfortunately nothing of the sort is mentioned.

ash.confex.com/ash/2017/web...

Cooking from scratch and twice daily brisk walks...

It might have triggered a regression... who knows.

~chris

1 like

Who knows? Agreed. btw do you know about the "13q14 duplication" mentioned in that paper?

No, not sure what they are referring to either... I have never heard that term before.

Some info in pediatric

rarediseases.info.nih.gov/d...

In my case I was FISH normal...

Hi avzclac

(I repeat part of my message to Carla - above, in case you don't receive it)

I have been methodically using 'natural' healing methods for the last 5 years and my CLL has gone into a steady a healthy remission for nearly 4 years. My bloods and lymph glands are normal.

There is a difference between spontaneous remission (those who have done nothing to heal themselves) and 'intentional' remission (those that have followed a particular method).

There are many good methods, some having clear clinical testing that fall under the general category of 'natural'. It is a spiders web of information and opinions but worth exploring if it doesn't disturb your health. I continue research on them, finding pros, cons and reason why they may work.

Best wishes

Patrick

1 like

CLL society site has a lot of good info.

I know some one who delayed treatment many year on a raw food vegan low sugar diet. Very hard though.

she brought her number down from 150k to 50K over 6 months though.

High does green tea trial was done at Mayo clinic. I have written about it on Health unlock as well.

Look at all treatments not just FCR if possible,

Many doctors like doing FCR vs writing an Rx for a pill since they get to do the FCR....

That happen to me..

Be well

2 likes

Thank you very much Crystalsky for sharing your husband's experience with CLL and current attempt to manage it the natural way. I have been waiting since I joined this forum to hear from someone who attempting to do exactly what I am have been doing since I was diagnosed with SLL in March 2016. I will be following you and hopefully we can learn from each other and others can learn and share their challenges with the natural path. I agree in principle with your process and objective. My feeling is if the natural path can at least hold off any further progression of CLL/SLL and no treatment is necessary, it's a victory. If for some reason, it fails, then we know we gave it everything we had the natural way. All of you out there that are pursuing this path, please weigh in. I know we are a minority for various reason's, but we need to share our experiences. At this time I won't go into detail on my path and exactly what I'm doing. I will save it for the next response. I will tell you I have made many changes in my diet, and continue to exercise every day, and stay positive and enjoy life. I have guidance from a cancer dietician and use various reputable sources to guide me in decisions on what is best for my body. I have managed to stay healthy and still on W and W. There are people out there who beat cancer the natural way. Just ask Chris Wark (chris@chrisbeatcancer.com) or Glen Sabin who cured himself from CLL (wrote book n of 1). It can be done. Maybe not everyone, but until proven otherwise, I believe. Best wishes to you and husband on your journey. Keep us posted.

2 likes

There's absolutely no doubt that exercising is the cheapest, most effective change many of us can take to improve our health and most of us can improve our diet.

Please note however, that Chris Wark did not beat cancer the natural way. He had his colon cancer surgically removed. As one of the references below states "Mr. Wark is making a common mistake, namely confusing adjuvant chemotherapy with chemotherapy administered for curative intent.", then crediting his lifestyle changes to his cure. Adjuvant chemotherapy: medicinenet.com/script/main... is designed to mop up cancerous cells missed by the surgeon's knife and improve the odds of survival. We need to clearly understand what happened here and not continue dangerously misleading countless desperate people with cancer to follow only part of his treatment - the part that had the least effect on his cancer:

quackwatch.org/11Ind/wark.html

sciencebasedmedicine.org/ch...

I feel sorry for his surgeon, having his surgical skills totally ignored.

Unfortunately, we can't have our tumour burden surgically removed, which makes Chris's testimonial of less relevance to us...

Glenn Sabin credits taking EGCG for curing his CLL, but his journey to his cure took far more time than most of us are able to spare. There is plenty of information on what dose to take and the likely side effects in previous posts: healthunlocked.com/search/g... The problem is that there's an unquantified risk of clonal evolution (watch and wait is the recommended protocol for good reason), and the quality of green tea can be uncertain, due to the general lack of regulation of supplements. I've been taking a high dose for nearly 9 years and it hasn't cured my CLL, but at least my spleen and nodes haven't further enlarged...

Neil

1 like

Hi CADreamer,

(I repeat part of my message to Carla - above, in case you don't receive it)

I have been methodically using 'natural' healing methods for the last 5 years and my CLL has gone into a steady a healthy remission for nearly 4 years. My bloods and lymph glands are normal.

There is a difference between spontaneous remission (those who have done nothing to heal themselves) and 'intentional' remission (those that have followed a particular method).

There are many good methods, some even having clear clinical testing that fall under the general category of 'natural'. It is a spiders web of information and opinions but worth exploring if it doesn't disturb your health. I continue research on them, finding pros, cons and reason why they may work.

Best wishes

in your explorations.

Patrick

1 like

Thank you also Carla for initiating the subject and sharing your partner's experience with attempts to manage CLL the natural way. I will be following you also. I know it takes a lot of adjustments and time to pursue the natural path, but I think it is well worth the effort. Best wishes to you and your partner.

1 like

Thanks

Dear Carla,

There is a difference between spontaneous remission (those who have done nothing to heal themselves) and 'intentional' remission (those that have followed a particular method). There are many good methods, some having clear clinical testing that fall under the general category of 'natural'. It is a spiders web of information and opinions but worth exploring if it doesn't disturb your health. I continue research on them, finding pros, cons and reason why they may work.

What ever has worked for you partner should be continued. Keep contact with your doctor to check things are going steady and his health is maintained.

Good health and good luck, Patrick

1 like

I would be interested in hearing more about how you got into remission Patrick.

We are at the beginning of our journey so trying to get as much info as possible. And thought what better than people who have actually done it.

Thanks

Carla

Dear Woggysmith

Thanks for asking how....

It’s difficult to summarise it all in a few paragraphs as it includes many details- these required for researching and understanding its clinical and academic explanations. I have been trying to write it up for the last two years. Practice is much easier.

The key features include reducing stress, enhancing the immune system, nutrition, healthy living, exercises and an honest determination. It’s about being the least invasive and most positive you can be towards helping you function and live. There are various people who will criticise your choices with their selective facts, so it is important you feel comfortable with what you do and have a 'sense of coherence’* in your determination.

It includes a ‘cancer freeing’ healthy diet similar to the detailed one well described by Crystal Sky- who also stated her determination. My supplements include Green Tea/EGCG, Vitamin D and Turmeric - all taken at low quantities. Healthy living means generally good routines, exercises, staying away from negative situations/people.

I believe, and there is much supporting research, that a form of Tai Chi* has been crucial in addressing my CLL. Tai Chi, as part of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Qigong, offers another paradigm for health.* In Western terms it is a low impact comprehensive exercise which reduces stress and improves general health. It can be easily learned. Doing it sensitively increases ‘proprioception’: which means you slow down and deeply relax while being more integrated with balancing of your being.

It’s not as complicated as it sounds but needs regular routines and practice done with diligence and enthusiasm. You can use with all of the above to promote your health but without increasing worry and stress.

I hope this brief note is helpful. There are others within the CLLSA who have information on natural/non-invasive remedies.

It would be useful to bring all this together so we could have full discussions: as it is most importantly about our life and health.

You can find a route to health.

Best wishes

Patrick

*tai chi mdpi.com/2305-6320/4/1/2 & ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl...

* sense of coherence – Arron Antonovsky link.springer.com/chapter/1...

*Western medicine explains this through its sciences of psychoneuroimmunology, epigenetics and neuroplasticity.

1 like

Thanks for that, much appreciated. I think we are on the right track but still have some changes to make.

All the best on your journey

Carla

Hi Woggysmith. While I don't expect to heal myself using macrobiotics. I do personally believe that my dietary regimen,my martial arts protocol and lots of jogging have relieved many CLL symptoms and also possibly slowed disease progression somewhat. My platelets were falling like a led balloon every year for almost a decade and once I began the diet they leveled off and I am at 125. That's really why I started the diet at the recommendation of a doctor who had seen other patients do better with their platelets on this particular anti-inflammatory diet. Other benefits(at least I believe them to be) I had been terribly fatigued and within a few months of doing this diet,My fatigue disappeared. I had been getting cold sores,sinus infections and ear aches and since changing my diet-that has really improved. Haven't had a cold sore in seven months and I was getting them every couple of months. When I started the diet in January of 2016 at diagnosis, I had high cholesterol, high blood pressure,extremely high glucose and I was diagnosed at the same time of my CLL diagnosis with acid reflux disease. All of these drains on my health disappeared or went within normal ranges.My liver ALT count was 92 and went down to 28 within only months. I'd say that 90% of the allergies that I had since childhood simply vanished. Losing 45 lbs helped ,too. And the weight stays off almost effortlessly. I can't say beyond a scientific doubt that my regimens are slowing my disease's progression,but I can say that I see one of the foremost CLL experts in the USA and his exact words were,"This diet of yours has given you a new lease on life!" That said, I have a moderately aggressive version of CLL and my doctor informed me that It is a complex karyotype. The bottom-line my specialist says that he feels upon reviewing five years worth of blood values that I have probably had CLL since 2012. My ALC was 10.4 in January 2016 and at my last blood test a few weeks ago,it was 19.2. The doc says that my disease is behaving in an indolent manner and I'd like to believe that eating well and exercising have a lot to do with that. So keep up the good work and I bet that you'll see some great results Good luck.

1 like

Thanks for sharing that and well done for making such a massive change in your health. Did you have a unhealthy diet before?

Carla

Thanks for the "THAT ABOY!" Well, at the time I certainly didn't believe that my diet was unhealthy. But I ate meat twice a week, ice-cream almost every day,had sugary treats and cereals several times a day. Chicken, white flour baked goods,tons of oily fish,dairy was a staple,coffee,pizza and anything chocolate as often as I could get it. I always ate some veggies,but they were not not organic. If it hard nitrates,I was surely craving it. I was 45lbs overweight...so apparently my body wasn't exactly thrilled with the fuel I was so graciously providing. I never bought organic foods,I just really didn't think about that. I never ate brown rice,either. I never paid attention to what was I doing to my digestive system when i combined certain foods? Nor did I think about why it might be wise to evaluate what preservatives were in the foods that I ate or what chemicals might be in free range beef vs just the typical grocery store stuff. So I guess subjectively, I was eating a typical American diet, only I was really overdoing the sugar and the dairy. And I wasn't looking at nutrition as even possibly being a mode of healing or restoring health.....food at that time was simply fun to eat,because it tasted good. And it wasn't so much what I was eating ,as it was what foods could I have been eating that might have been more wholesome and kept me healthier. Being a snack food junkie didn't help either. That said....I don't have the right to pontificate--as there is this notion of FREE WILL and people are gonna do what makes them happy. But I am just presenting my thoughts and experiences. I will say that diet and exercise definitely have profound effects on our general health. And our general health may have some real effect on our immune system's ability to function well.

4 likes

You may also like...