New University of Southampton developed sensor to detect food-borne bacteria on site

New  University of Southampton developed sensor to detect food-borne bacteria on site

Given listeria causes approximately 1,600 illnesses and 260 deaths in the USA annually, news that "researchers at the University of Southampton are trialling a device designed to detect the most common cause of listeriosis directly on food preparation surfaces," is very very encouraging:

gizmag.com/listeria-bacteri...

If the trials of this device prove its effectiveness, it would a huge benefit for everyone, not just the immune compromised, if the use of such technology became mandatory in commercial food preparation.

Mayo Clinic on Listeria Infections:

mayoclinic.org/diseases-con...

Note: "Symptoms may begin a few days after you've eaten contaminated food, but it may take as long as two months (emphasis mine) before the first signs and symptoms of infection begin."

I was placed on a 'Low Listeria diet" during a recent hospital stay due to my CLL caused neutropenia. It does tend to restrict your diet choices somewhat.

Neil

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I also was hospitalised for some kind of food poisoning but have only just spotted the tiny warning on the soft goat's cheese I am eating: 'not suitable for pregnant women and immune compromised people'. I think I might have found the cause of my infection - us CLLers have to be so careful.

• Soft cheeses are one of the no-nos, but unfortunately very few foods include warnings. Check out the Neutropenic Diet reference here:

healthunlocked.com/cllsuppo...

I'm sure you don't want to go through that again...

You may also like...