British Pregnancy Advisory Service
3,330 members1,548 posts

stillborn ?polyhydramnios

hi, id like some impartial advice please. I had my first pregnancy and stillborn daughter born at 37weeks, her name is penny. I had a normal pregnancy, but in my 3rd trimester developed a PUPPS rash. I was given creams and piriton. then at my 36wk midwife apt my babys hb was 196 and I was measuring over the 'large' line on growth chart. went to antenatal day unit (ANDU) and was given ajug of water and her hb came down, sent home after 20mins. 2days later went back to ANDU as rash remedies nolonger working. given a obstetrician apt the next day and seen by junior dr who said she'd refer me to dermatology, she also noticed I was bigger again on growth chart, referred me for 'asap ultrasound as query polyhydramios/ gest diabetes- my apt came through for when id of been 39 +3 pregnant! went round for my diabetic check and was told I souldnt have been referred as I am over 34weeks so to monitor with finger prick tests, i remember crying down the phone the next day saying to a midwife they want to see if something is up through an ultrasound and if i wait til im 39 +3 itll be too late, i was just told there was nothing they could do about that. went in again at 37weeks with reduced movements and low and behold my baby had died. my question is i know this scan may have found nothing and it may have always been inevitable but shouldn't they have somehow managed to scan me more urgent than 3weeks later- they soon magicd up an ultrasound to detect no heartbeat :( please help someone im driving myself insane with it

3 Replies

Yes they should and you should raise this as a formal complaint. I'm not a midwife but am obstetrics trained. The 'red flags' were IMO pretty obvious. I'm so very sorry for your loss and I know nothing can bring her back, but a formal complaint could stop it happening again. Is the coroner involved? That could give you answers. In the meantime please do consider contacting SANDS (stillbirth & neonatal death society). They have a wealth of experience and help. We are all here for you and you can pm me anytime xxx


Hi there

I am very sorry to hear you’ve had such a sad time. The hospital where you had your daughter will have something called the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS). They offer confidential advice, support and information on health-related matters. They provide a point of contact for patients, their families and their carers. PALS can give you information about the NHS complaints procedure, including how to get independent help if you want to make a complaint. This might be the first step to see if someone can help you make some sense out of this, there should also be some kind of bereavement support on the unit where you had Penny, that can also support you through this really hard time. This link takes you to SANDS who are a charity that have a helpline you could call for support. I hope this helps a little, and you get the support you need. Take care.



So sorry for the loss of your daughter, I would try and get some counselling to help you through this sad time, I also agree with madcatlady55, I would submit a complaint. It might bring you some answers and help with the grieving process x