Hip Break

Well everyone, I've done what we always dread doing. I fell over. I'd already shattered my spine Sept 2013. That was unbelievably painful. I gradually recovered to a reasonable standard. I have a rare autoimmune disease and have to take 17-5 mg prednisolone everyday.. That is the lowest I can do. It has ruined my bones but there really is no other choice. It's either living in excruciating long term pain and severe allergic attacks of terrible proportions often life threatening, or balancing everything up. I've gone for quality of some sort instead of a perhaps a longer excruciating life. I still have to balance all my meds as the autoimmune breaks through. Anyway., I had a spontaneous vertebrae break in July, which despite xrays it wasn't picked up even though I knew it was broken. So I've had pain from there. Mri did the trick. Last Friday I tripped as my foot moved but my sandle didn't. My head hit the fridge hard I felt my head slide down into the corner of fridge and tall cupboard. I felt my shoulder breaking my hip break then I thought my leg break. I was hysterical. My darling husband ran in and almost fainted. My leg was facing the other way. Ambulance was going to take 4 hours to arrive. This is Luton. Not an out of the way island. My Dr friends rushed to the house. John phoned 4 times with me screaming. In the end my friends said to him that my heart rate was very dangerous so he told them my breathing was very bad.2 Paramedics came and then 3ambulance people. It took nearly 3 hours to stabilise me. Gas and air is fantastic. I used a whole bottle at home. Moving was the scariest thing I've ever done. I had broken my hip up and down wards to the left bone. My ball and socket joint had parted company so my leg was in agony. It was all my right side including my collar bone. I was operated on the Sunday as I had to have ct of my brain because of the terrible lump on my head and forehead. That was OK. I've been managing tiny walks with a frame and sitting in the chair. I'm 65 and it's not easy at all. But, if you don't do anything then you never will. I'll keep you updated love to you and make sure your footwear is perfect. Jan xxx

22 Replies

  • Oh my goodness Jan. What a story. :( You poor love. I really feel for you. Yes, footwear is so important but in warmer weather it is difficult to not want to wear sandals, at least sometimes. I tend to walk better with a totally enclosed shoe. It is very early days for you post op. Do let us know how you go on. I wish I could wave a magic wand for you.

    Sending you over gentle hugs and healing vibes. {{{hugs}}}

  • Thank you xxx

  • Can I make a suggestion for the sandles try Go Outdoors take a look at walking sandles. The pred doesn't help Iam recovering from GCA on 5mg daily started on 50mg almost 3years ago. Gentle hugs sent to you

  • Hi Olive,

    I find that even if I wear the walking sandals with open toes I am likely to stumble. Wearing sandals/shoes where the toes are covered are much safer for me personally nowadays.

  • Thank you. Gentle hugs Always very nice to get. Xxx

  • Omg ...I really feel for you .I wish you well xxxx

  • Oh dear. I'm amazed how cheerful you sound, but that's good as I think one gets better if you are cheerful. Best wishes for your recovery.

  • Yes, I thought the same as you beginner1. Stay with that positive attitude, Jan, if you can. You are allowed to have blips though. ;) Call in and chat to us as and when, you will get replies and support.

  • You have had a very rough time ad I wish you all the best in the future. Your attitude is amazing and inspiration to all of us. Wish I had a magic wand to send you.

  • I read that account of your accident and its outcome with mounting concern and horror only to be uplifted and filled with admiration for your sheer gutsiness and determination to live life on your own terms at the close of your post.

    Best wishes for as swift and comfortable a recovery as is practical.

  • Thank you,all your support means so much. The scary thing is, some of these ladies had, had breaks before, but no dexa scans were given. They were told to take calcium and that was it. Xxx

  • I did what you did last year, but not as gutsily. Eventually I was so horrified at so-called NHS care that I had myself transferred over to private care. The difference was mind-blowing, although it wiped out my savings. Bearing in mind that you were told there was such a long wait for an ambulance, and reading the poltical manifestos I can't see this changing, can I suggest it might be an idea to have some private tel, nos to hand such as ambulance, nearest private A & E, etc. Then at least your family can make a decision to have you under medical care immediately if you fall again.

  • The no's are a good idea. I've got to say though the treatment has been great, BUT, my first 4 nights and days were horrific. I was in a bay with 4beds and, 2 had altzeimers to a really bad degree. The remaining one had psychotic episodes that eventually became permanent and violent. It was shocking. The others were screaming. Etc. I was moved eventually and although this came with its own problems it's a lovely bay. Lovely staff etc. I had to sort timings of my pain relief out, which was a job, but it's sorted now. I should be going to rehabilitation for a couple of weeks which I hope will be very helpful. Privately, this would all cost a fortune. If the treatment was not so good, I would consider it, trouble is what happens if there's a next time. Good luck xxxx

  • As I found out, dementia patients are no longer in a special ward, but have to be treated "equally". It is good that they are getting more attention, but it means that - as I found out - you can't get sleep because there is a wailing banshee in the bed opposite. Another patient found out that if she shouted SHUT UP the patient calmed down and we got some rest, but an officious nurse told her off, and when we all said we wanted to be able to sleep, were told we had no right to expect to be able to sleep!

  • Wow, how frightening, horrible and yet uplifting as you have come through it with a positive attitude. I cannot believe the 4 hr wait - in Luton! Shocker.

    The steroids keep us going, but cause terrible side effects, as you say, it's all a balancing act.

    Good luck to you, sending lots of hugs xxx

  • sorry to hear you have broken your hip, but all is not lost. I broke my hip Feb 2016 and was discharged Jan 2017. What on earth was happening in Luton, if you read up on breaking a hip, it is very dangerous to leave it untreated, it is a major trauma to the body. Fell while out shopping with my stepdaughter, and carried on shopping and went back to my mothers flat, some hours later realised I had really done something to myself, this was in Hitchin, I live in London. Stepdaughter took me to the Lister, cannot fault their treatment. I would suggest that you do all the physio exercises at least four times a day for say 8 weeks and and then purchase an exercise bike that you use whilst sitting in a chair, and use this say three times a day, half an hour a session this together with all the physio exercises build up your lower torso muscles and help you get back to normal. I still do this regime three times a day and it works. The best shoes are Skechers gowalk, they make you stand and walk properly and are probably the most comfortable shoes you will ever wear, I have the fabric ones and also have suede ones that you can buy on Ebay, the boots are also very good. I was 70 when this happened and was determined that it was not going to get the better of me. They also advise you not to do any housework etc etc, however, you can get over this by using a cordless stick cleaner and if you have tiled floors clean them with floor wipes that you can push around the floor with one of your crutches. I viewed the whole thing as a challenge but exercise is the KEY. Here in Newham we have six lots of physio in the home, and they monitor your progress etc etc etc, invaluable. You will gradually get over this, it does take time but you will get there in the end...............

  • What an awful thing to happen,glad that you are on the mend. Your hubby will be wrapping you up in cotton wool when you get home.We really have to be careful with footwear and slippery surfaces.I always wear flats but have found that some of the new man made plastic type sole can be lethal on some floors .I found this out on holiday when I was wearing some very sensible lightweight trainers which I thought would be fine because they looked to have a good tread..... I was so wrong ..the dining room became a skating rink for me ...luckily my husband caught me before I did any damage.Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery ...your positive attitude is an inspiration to us all.

  • You sound a very brave lady. So sorry for your pain and hope you are soon able to move about more freely. Well done on keeping going and doing the tiny walks! xx

  • Oh wow that sounds painful if you can do that much damage indoors what chance have you got outside my husband diagnosed with osteoporosis last month he got fractured vertebrae since then he had fall outside but doesn't know how it happened whether he lost balance he's still in lot of pain even though taking painkillers

  • Hi everyone. Well, I'm now in rehab. I'm very lucky that in Luton we have a specialist unit that is purpose built. I have been in a week and although on the first day I just wanted to go home as it was a very frightening concept to be away from my husband and home, I knew I had to stay. The next day things looked vetted. The sun was shining, the staff are fabulous in every way and each day I'm getting stronger. I thought I'd be out in a few days but that's not the case. The physios did say that it usually takes 4-6 weeks to get home. I now realise that's me as well. The hospital physio would have been happy sending me straight home even though she only helped me a couple of times to the toilet. The Dr said rehab would help. It has. It's incredibly painful and difficult at times. I'm shattered after even a few minutes but I can feel the progress. My big aim is to be able to walk up the stairs again. I have a pin inserted from my knee to the hip and another one across my hip, and everything is still very swollen. My knee is sort of numb but with electricity type shooting pain running up and down. Apparently thus happens sometimes so there's a lot of healing time be done. My broken collar bone is just a nuisance. My husband comes in from 2-7, he's so supportive. He has to bring in home cooked food because of my allergies. He's even learned how to use the washing machine. I'll let you know how it goes. This is the NHS at its best.

    Love to all Jan xx

  • Hi Jan,

    So good that there is a specialist unit near you - just a shame perhaps you did not get there earlier but you are there now and it is great to hear that things are improving albeit slowly and going in the right direction. You have a very supportive husband as you say and that can help immensely. So good he can visit every day so that is something to look forward to and spur you on. What a sweetie, using the washing machine and bringing in your food. I have spoilt my hubby over the years so he has no idea about the day to day running of the home. ;) He is great at DIY so will quickly sort a leaky tap or mend an appiance so we make a good team really. ;) It is great to have aims. You will get to climb stairs. Bless you. I think you are a marvel. Keep up the good work. You are doing brilliantly.

    Hope to hear from you again when you feel like it. You are an inspiration.

    I hope your day is going well for you. Gentle hugs and healing vibes being sent over the airwaves to you,

    Kaarina {{{hugs}}}

  • What a fright, apart from the pain, obviously. How is rehabilitation going? What a good job you weren't in the house by yourself. What an awful nurse she sounded. I can put up with a lot, but not the torture of sleep deprivation - suffered that earlier this year - a woman in the next bed decided she needed toilet every half hour before I discharged myself. Knew I'd never improve without sleep. Bloody haard work looking after myself, but oh! the peace!

You may also like...