British Lung Foundation

Daily Sputum from coughing

Good afternoon everyone, I suffer with severe Bronchiectasis and I use my nebuliser/postural draining daily to bring up Sputum. I use ventolin and saline Nebs to do this. I usually can cough up a sample container full in the morning and then less as the day goes on. When I have an infection coming in there is far more. I was just wondering the amounts other people produce?

Kind regards

Joe x

9 Replies
oldestnewest

Well done on all of your efforts. We are all so different. I produce lots, even when I don’t have an exacerbation. I tend to wait until early afternoon when it has all loosened up and then work very hard at it.

2 likes

Thank you for your reply. x

Good afternoon Joseph, I too suffer with Bronchiectasis and very severe copd. I find it really hard to cough up sputum and recently my doctor put me on Carbocisteine which has lostened up the sputum off my chest. But I still have a problem coughing it up and out so I can't help you there I'm afraid Joseph. I too use my nebuliser 4 times dailey . I find coughing can be really exhausting do you? ✋️😊

2 likes

Hi there, coughing is tiring I too am on carbostine tables 6 a day. Morning afternoon and everything.

Thanks for taking time to reply.

2 likes

Yes. I take 6 per day as well. Nice talking with you Joseph, always up for a chat. ✋️😊

1 like

There's quite a lot of skill involved in coughing up sputum isn't there? ;-) It's a form of self-help that can make a huge difference to how you feel.

2 likes

Hi there, you need to keep a productive cough going and try with out exerting yourself to expel as much phlegm as you can. It’s not nice.

2 likes

Generally quite a lot and it's never white. I nebulise bronchodilator, followed by hypertonic saline 7% and then lung clearance twice a day, morning and evening.

You sound to be doing good with your self management.

cx

1 like

Thank you for replying.

You may also like...