British Heart Foundation
5,381 members3,429 posts

Dyson and electric shocks

Ok so now am I being daft ...

I know I should be resting but I can see the dust ...so as my Henry vacuum is to heavy I used my hard earned 20 year service gift voucher from work to go to John Lewis and buy a hand held Dyson I added money and paid almost £400 .

Now the trouble is it gives of electric shocks !!! Hubbie used it first and he was wearing rubber soled boots he got a shock from the handle where the unit fits to the power point ...as he only 'Just tried it our I just thought I would do my bedroom ...well I can't hold the handle for the shock I get from the power point hole ...now bear in mind that thus has no connection when Bing used to main line electrics i. Assuming it's a residue ..dyson are saying it's static build up ...i think they should have a little rubber bung for the hole ,Dyson don't think it's a problem and said use an anti static wipe!!

Well anyway long story short ...my angina was having a moment last night and is giving me a bit if gip now ,it could be the anxiety of phoning them but do you think those little shocks could have any effects on my heart ? I'm either going to use rubber gloves with it or take it back which is a shame as it does a good job overall

13 Replies
oldestnewest

I can’t speak to the merits or otherwise of the Dyson or Henry but I suspect the current weather may have something to with the static charge build up that is discharging into you. The air at the moment is very dry and cold and plastic will charge really well under those conditions. If you suspect there is something electrically wrong with it take it back to wherever it was purchased from - frankly it’s not worth the risk continuing to use it. We have two Dyson machines (std upright ones) and we do not get shocks from either of them!

2 likes
Reply

I have one of these and have never had a problem with static - I've just tried it now. I'd get a replacement one if it doesn't settle. It's handy for getting up odd bits instantly where you don't want to be faffing about with rubber gloves. I love mine - it's so light and easy.

1 like
Reply

Just take it back to John Lewis and see if it gives them a shock.

I need to consult my hovering expert (wife ) but I have never had a shock from our Dyson. I am not sure but if the Cleaner is disconnected from the power source, the power is very small when your recharging you are only charging a battery power pack !! It does look like your building up static maybe try it on a solid floor not on a carpet which may contain mainly synthetic fibres.

Best Regards

Frank W

1 like
Reply

Anxiety, worry about the most stupid of things will set it off. My doctor has upped my morning pill of Chemydur 60 XL from a half a pill to one full one.

Reply

Woah, it shouldn't be doing that.

I have used the V8 Absolute Pro for the last 18 months and never experienced anything like that.

I agree, you should take it back to John Lewis and ask them to exchange it. Tell them you have a heart condition and are worried about the shocks. I can't imagine they would refuse to change it.

1 like
Reply

I am thinking about it ...dyson says it static but I googled it and it's a common complaint ...wish I'd googled it before now.

Reply

Do you have carpets and are they wool or man made? My house is a combination of wooden floors and wool carpet.

I think it is ridiculous of Dyson to say it is a common complaint. They need to sort it.

I agree with the poster above that if they won't offer a solution you should exchange it for a different make. My friend has a GTech and loves it.

Reply

I don't think it should do that either, and at £400 I would take it back. get a much cheeper make and treat yourself with what you save.

I have a little Vax battery hand held, £30, and ok not in the same league, but neither is the price.:)

Reply

It does fo the job though ...i might just try it with rubber gloves on first 😉

Reply

Enjoy taking it easy when you need to. House work can be quite therapeutic. C

1 like
Reply

You are joking, of course !

1 like
Reply

I get frequent static shocks from a particular filing cabinet in my office. I kick it first then open it - does the trick! 😊 Never had a problem with my Dyson.

Reply

Hi Mrs. B. If its not connected to a Power outlet when you get the feeling of a shock I would expect that it is not such a serious thing. BUT if it bothers you and you have a heart condition then by all means just go to the store and ask them to make it useable ASAP. I would think that if they are worth while they should come up with a no-cost solution for you. You should not have to endure any inconvenience from using the device. If they do not then the suppliers or manufacturers should be you next stop. I don't know about the UK but in Australia there are regulations that would ensure that your appliance is able to be used under normal conditions. As a temporary fix and tro find out what is happening to your satisfaction try bonding the handle with a short piece of wire tro any metal object connected to plumbing or such and then try it out and see if you still get a shock, but keep mit clear of anything to do with the mains power.

Many things can affect STatic charges. The weather, Temperature Floor coverings and even what you are wearing, on your body as well as on your feet. I worked in the Electrical industry doing service work for over 60 years years both in Domestic and Industrial & Commercial situations as well as teaching. Don't be put off just start with the store and say you want a fix. If you don't want to have to do that of course try a pair of rubber / latex gloves, or even a dry tea towel. if you can tolerate them easily.

Regards Bill P Australia.with a family that came from the UK a couple of generations ago..

Reply

You may also like...