British Heart Foundation

Aortic stenosis and heart failure

Just two months ago my 80yr old husband was walking our dog. He then became breathless with fatigue. An echocardiogram shows aortic stenosis. While waiting for a referral he has gone downhill so quickly and was admitted with very low sodium levels cannot walk now . Legs swollen ..doctors say there is a small window of opportunity for op. When he is at his best and Heart hospital agrees to procedure. We are in limbo while he gets no stronger. This has come as a huge shock and I struggle to stay positive

6 Replies
oldestnewest

For his age they can use a tavi and it is guided via the femoral artery in the goin and they can literally replace the valve, with open heart surgery like the stent for coronary heart disease. Will be done by local anaesthetic in the goin and a day or 2 in hospital to monitor.

See the bhf site -> bhf.org.uk/heart-health/tre...

It is really amazing how cardiac surgery and treatment has improved since the early days.

Reply

One of the doctors mentioned this ..my concern is he’s so frail now and there seems no reply from surgeons wether he’s a candidate and is so when. I’ve even wondered about using what little savings we have to see if we could get it done privately. thanks for your reply much appreciated will use the link

Reply

Sorry to hear of your husband’s problems. I am 75 and had an aortic valve replacement 3 weeks ago. Prior to the op the consultant told me I had little chance of having the operation within 6 months. I found breathing very difficult. I decided to raise the money by way of a loan. It has cost me £20,000 but the op was done at my convenience at a private hospital. I believe this decision saved my life. Yes very expensive but what price quality of life! Hope this helps. Phil Garner

Reply

Thanks Phil.. he’s been in hospital 2 weeks and is very weak. Too weak to come home at the moment. But if I thought it possible I would do what you have done. How are you now?it came on so quickly his heart muscle is weakened. Do you think this would go against him for an op ?

Reply

I’ve no Idea Sheila. You can ask for a private consultancy if you have lost faith in the system. I think the cost would be around £200 but may help you make an informed decision. I am progressing quite well Thankyou and I can breathe normally which was the whole point of the op. I hope this helps. All the best Phil Garner

Reply

The doctor was ready to take hubby for TAVI but he’s had to be taken off diuretics and had a scan on liver and kidneys. What harm is done by the diuretics...feel he’s getting to weak for any surgery now

Reply

You may also like...