Behcet's Syndrome Society
3,862 members3,302 posts

how do you get your GP to think of Behcet's Syndrome?

I have Fibromyalgia, M.E. and a number of other autoimmune illnesses and suffer from a number of the symptoms which are similar to Bechet's Syndrome. The problem is every medical department seems to deal with their specific area but there doesn't seem to be a department that takes an overall view. Has this been the experience of anyone else on the list?

4 Replies

Hi, I would say that has been the experience of a vast majority of BD patients.

What you could do is print off this fact sheet

and if you think this applies to you, make a few relevant bullet points/a brief history and show it to your GP and/or your current medics.

If you are in the UK you can ask to be referred to one of these:

Where you will be properly assessed and diagnosed by BD Specialists all in one place. If they conclude you do not have BD they will do what they can to point you in the right direction regarding the next step in your diagnosis/health care.

It is often the case with BD sufferers that they have to take matters into their own hands, however well intentioned their medics may be. A BD patient needs to see a BD Specialist.


Hi Tigerfeet,

Thank you very much for answering this question. I will follow your suggestions.



You are welcome, I expect you will get some more responses too. I hope you get your diagnosis and if it is BD then please let us know and do stick around.

This is a great place to come if you have BD, there are members of all ages and various experiences. We rant, laugh, advise, ask for advice, and share news and experiences. None of us can give medical advice, but we can give plenty of support.


You might find this useful too -


You may also like...