ataxia: Before I knew I had ataxia my Dr. said a... - Ataxia UK

Ataxia UK

3,862 members4,301 posts

ataxia

coupons profile image
12 Replies

Before I knew I had ataxia my Dr. said a knee replacement was necessary. How do I know what is causing my pain and balance problems?

12 Replies
wobblybee profile image
wobblybee

🤔 I’m diagnosed with Idiopathic Cerebellar Ataxia, this is linked to balance problems.

I’m also separately diagnosed with Arthritis, and I experience painful knees.

Pain is often mentioned by those diagnosed with ataxia, mostly connected to muscles but joints can be painful due to stiffness.

If you’ve previously been advised you need knee replacement surgery..make an appointment with your GP for advice and peace of mind.

coupons profile image
coupons in reply to wobblybee

Thanks. So you decided against knee surgery?

wobblybee profile image
wobblybee in reply to coupons

🤔 I have pain and can’t kneel..so at some point I think I will have to consider surgery

coupons profile image
coupons in reply to wobblybee

I feel the same as you about having surgery. I've heard that after knee surgery you can not kneel.

wobblybee profile image
wobblybee in reply to coupons

That may be true..my neighbour (no ataxia) cannot kneel

PatsyIpswich profile image
PatsyIpswich

It's difficult to tell the difference but best to get it checked. Painkillers are for different things and should be discussed and understood. Stay safe and don't forget to smile x

runningdeer profile image
runningdeer

I have SCA6 Ataxiaandi too was I the same position. But I’ve had a knee replacement and now I’m pain free, but my balance is worse. My consultant thinks the anaesthesia made it worse. Next time I need surgery I have been recommended to have an epidural. I would have definitely have the surgery again, as now I’m pain free, but I wouldn’t have had a a anesthetiser

coupons profile image
coupons in reply to runningdeer

Thanks. I am glad you are pain free. Thanks for the epidural tip.

Rezzy66 profile image
Rezzy66

i had a knee injury (torn acl and torn meniscus) but instead of surgery I opted to go to physical therapy. A longer road to rehab but it was my physical therapist who figured out my balance issue were being caused by something else. I find out later that I have ataxia. Maybe a neuromuscular therapist can evaluate your movement and distinguish the ataxia movement from the knee pain movement. Good luck and always keep going!

coupons profile image
coupons in reply to Rezzy66

Thanks. I am planning on therapy first.

Kgreville profile image
Kgreville in reply to coupons

I did physical therapy for years and had 6 steroid injections. But that was over 4 years!!

coupons profile image
coupons in reply to Kgreville

Did these things stop progression?

You may also like...