Anyone else have problems with choking?

For the last few months I have experienced a choking attack (or fit, or whatever you want to call it), about once a month.

As you can imagine this is rather unpleasant. It's not that I mind dying so much, it's just that choking seems a rather unpleasant and painful way to go.

What makes it worse, is that I wasn't eating or drinking at the times when it happened...This means I don't know if there is anything I can do about it.

Anyone else experience this, and if you have, was there any medical help offered? I don't know whether to get in touch with my GP or the Ataxia Clinic about this. I don't even know if they will be interested.

Please note the tags attached to this question are those proposed by the new website - I can't find a way to change them...

Last edited by

6 Replies

• I have choking episodes quite regularly but usually during eating or drinking. I think its due to in-coordination of the muscles in the throat? It always happens unexpectedly! Ataxia related, I think?

• Hello Wyndham

I have problems with choking, sneezing and swallowing. The attacks happen anytime, including the night.

I just have to be careful and hope!!!!

I'm afraid they are ataxia related but they don't last long and you learn how to deal with them

See your GP he/she may be able to give you a prescription.

Take care

• Thanks for the responses. I wasn't sure if it was ataxia related although my instinct said it was.

Not sure how much help my GP will be but after your suggestion, I'll ask.

• Hello I suffer with choking when eating/drinking or even air. My speech therapist gave me exercises to strengthen the muscles which so far is working.

• Thank you wendygirl. I will ask my doctor about this. Good suggestion. *smile*

• Hi, I have the same problem, your GP can refer you to a Speech Therapist who will closely observe you as you drink, eat etc. She found that I have lost the swallow reflex and now I have to consciously make myself swallow every few minutes or I dribble!! Nice, eh? :)

You may also like...