Hi all, just wanted some feed back on what happened last month with my son. Don't quite know how to take it.
Jay is 11 and has difficult to control Asthma. He currently takes symbicort, ventolin, singulair, slo-phyllin, tilade and 10mg alternate day pred.
At the beginning of last month Jay came down with a chest infection and was prescribed Clarithromycin, it set his asthma off so I also started a couse of Pred (40mg). We managed with 3 - 4 hourly nebs for the 1st 3 days but he just wasn't coping well and really struggled on his way to school on the 4th day. The school followed their care plan and we went up to A&E. I explained what had been going on and said nebs were only lasting about 1 1/2 hours. He had 1 neb with ventolin and atrovent and was ok, no wheeze and peak flow up to 230 from 110. When I said he had had 4 days of Pred I was told he should only have 3 and to stop giving it to him (RBH have said between 5 and 7 days) and don't worry about him wheezing he will until the chest infection goes. Jay was wheezing again before we got home, so back to 2 - 3 hourly nebs.
Next day, no pred and finished ab's. gave normal meds in morning and had neb before leaving for school. Used 10 puffs of Ventolin on the way to school and a further 8 puffs in the office at school. Jay could not get up the stairs to his class room. His PF was not going above 120 despite ventolin. We waited 30 mins to see if he got any better but he was still not good. The school stuck to their plan and took us up to A&E. jay was using his inhaler on the way and in waiting room. By the time we were seen he was alot better. The doc (a different one from the previous day) gave 1 neb and sent us on our way. I carried on with 2 - 4 hourly nebs for a couple of days until he was alot better.
So far not too disturbed by treatment. Bit bemused about being told not to give any more Pred and a bit upset as not asked to wait 4 hours to see how long neb lasted especially given history but all in all muddled through..
Now comes the bombshell. The following week I received a letter. Addressed to Jay and not me complaining that he had used A&E inappropriately. The hospital facilities should only be used for 'life threatening' situations. I should have made an emergency appointment to be seen that day at the surgery or if the surgery was closed could have phoned NHS direct for advice. As you can imagine, I was not impressed. I phoned his Asthma nurse and explained what had happened and she was appauled. She phoned the practice manager to ask what was going on. He said Jay did not need to go to A&E for a neb as the surgery has one that he could use if it really was necessary. She told him Jay has a neb at home which he was using. The practice manager then said perhaps he needed Pred which they could have given. She told him he also had that at home and had used it for 4 days already. Perhaps he needed ab's came next, with the same response. In the end she said they should read peoples notes before sending out stupid letters.
a few days later a second letter came from the Gp. I thought it might have been an apology. BUT NO. It was asking me to bring Jay in for an Asthma review so we could dicuss the best way to prevent a deterioration in my son's condition. I could not beleive it, they were still trying to say I handled the situation badly.
This has knocked my confidence. I always felt able to go to A&E when i could not control things. I have a plan that I follow and most of whet I need at home. The next step is usually A&E and admission.
I have the asthma review appointment next week and would really like some advice on how to approach the Dr. Any advice greatly received.
Thanks foer reading and hope everyone is doing OK.