Action on Postpartum Psychosis
2,050 members1,369 posts

PPP

Did anyone have out of blue with no previous mental health problems

18 Replies
oldestnewest

Yes, no history of mental health problems, then PPP after birth of first child.

Me too. No history of anything. A great pregnancy but then lots of complications during and after the birth with a c-section.

Yes the same for me. No previous history. X

Nothing serious. I’d never heard of PPP. Id been on 10mg lexapro on and off for four years before I fell pregnant for anxiety which caused me to be depressed (the constant anxiety I mean). I have a family history of bi polar disorder though. My grandmother was hospitalised with it back in the day.

no history for me either. lovely pregnancy, but terrible birth! mine was mostly caused by sleep deprivation- was too excited/anxious to sleep :(

Yes I did , exactly that . I’d been a happy young woman with a solid nursing background , with no history of depression or any other mental condition so when it struck after the birth of my first baby along with a traumatic birth , emergency c section / fevers it was like the end of my sane happy world Terrifying .

Denise

what happened how old was your baby when had ppp. Did your have services involved and all over your business

Yes same for me too!...just had anxiety before and a little depression...this completely knocked me down but slowly after a lot of downs I’ve picked up!

I had a good pregnancy, some anxiety about being induced due to late pregnancy, but the birth experience was actually fine (painful, but manageable; and no tearing or intervention other than the initial sweeps).

Yes, no history at all and then after the birth of my third child.

No history at all of mental health problems . Had 2 episodes of PPP now and been diagnosed with general anxiety disorder . Since learnt that 2 aunties on my dad side have anxiety and depression.

Always felt like my moods were a little more up and down than others but never had any sleep disturbances or needed extra support to regulate my mood until my daughter was born and then I couldn't sleep and became very manic. Started right after a traumatic birth that included rushing off to emergency surgery minutes after giving birth to repair internal tearing. I do have a significant family history of bipolar disorder. Since having PPP, I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

Hi Pumpkins . It’s so often the case it seems PPP hits us like a meteorite without warning and there is a lot of general ignorance around it . Not so much with P n D that many have heard of as “ the blues” although it’s far more serious . Safety in childbirth has come a long way but mainly in physical health risks taking precedence but the mental effects are not as well known or addressed and often hidden . My baby was a newborn when it hit me but with my second I struggled with severe depression . I’m convinced that anxiety , extreme tiredness , traumatic birth etc all have a big effect increasing the risk of mental problems . I have thought of starting a support group here in Dorset for women . One of the worst aspects for me was the lack of understanding and having to keep it to myself and struggle through in a state of fear and failure.

This forum is excellent and I’m sure the women who subscribe all gain confidence from sharing experiences !

X Denise

I suffered with severe depression and mild anxiety before PPP. I think PPP is more common if you've suffered with some form of mental health problem but can occur out of the blue. How are you doing now?

Lots of love,

Natalie

xx

Hi there, came out of the blue for me to after the birth of my first child. No mental health problems before or in the 34 years after, including my second child. Took me a long time to come to terms with it though. Best wishes to you all. Vee x

I am looking forward to baby not to services, in my area anyone without a partner gets a social worker - it usually goes down hill there

Yes me too. I had no history of mental illness, depression or anxiety and was fine after my first 2 children. I got PP after my third birth which had complications similar to my second birth and I had severe sleep deprivation.

Same here with no history and smooth pregnancy. Relatively smooth birth too!! Anyone in the midlands want to link up to support each other??

You may also like...