Metformin

Someone posted this information on inspire.com. Anyone familiar or gone through this treatment?

Recent research "Metformin-induced mitochondrial function and ABCD2 up-regulation in X-linked adrenoleukodystrophy involves AMP-activated protein kinase."

Pharmacological activation of AMPK can rescue the mitochondrial dysfunction and inhibit the pro-inflammatory response. The FDA approved anti-diabetic drug Metformin, a well-known AMPK activator, induces mitochondrial biogenesis and is documented for its anti-inflammatory role.

Taken together, these results provide proof-of-principle for therapeutic potential of metformin as a useful strategy for correcting the metabolic and inflammatory derangements in X-ALD by targeting AMPK. We document the therapeutic potential of FDA approved drug, Metformin, for X-ALD by targeting AMPK. Metformin induced peroxisomal Abcd2 levels in vitro and in vivo. Metformin lowered VLCFA levels, improved mitochondrial function and ameliorated inflammatory gene expression in X-ALD patient-derived cells.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/268...

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • SongStream, thanks a lot.

I'll look into this. We all should start investigating ways to upregulate ACBD2.

I started making a list of candidate drugs. I'll post it up in the week, but Metformin looks very promising.

• onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi...

Here is the full article, have to pay $6 to read it though.

I'll sort this later in the week.

• Thanks Monkeybus. A common adverse effect of this drug is gastrointestinal issues such as diarrhea, vomiting, etc. I'd be concerned how it affects those with Addison's. Nevertheless, it sounds promising.

• I'm going to add it to my list to talk to the neurologist. I'm taking all these screenshots and need to go through them and right all this down