Scalp biopsy : Hi, I was wondering does the NHS... - Alopecia UK

Alopecia UK
1,108 members223 posts

Scalp biopsy

Iknownow2
Iknownow2
9 Replies

Hi,

I was wondering does the NHS provide scalp biopsys?

Are there any scalp biopsy clinics anyone can recommend in London?

9 Replies
oldestnewest
bluepettals2

ihad one at westminster and chelsea dermo clinic and got diagnois androgenic alopecia!

Iknownow2

Did you pay for both?

bluepettals2

no it was dermatology nhs due to such massive hairloss and multitude of heakth conditions which is affectingmy mental health now. i had alopecia areata as well as androgenic, up to 2009 i had a load of fine hair, then got ill wentbald twice and now my coveringis miniturising but the cause is unknown but it is doingmyhead in, i cant even wear wigs because my stupid smallhead is a stupid shape and itlooks like im wearing a thatch roof! plus they dont stay put,they slip off. hair no matter what you are wearing to me is my confidence, i admire people who take it in their stride

butterflyEi

I was referred to NHS dermatology and had a biopsy taken. still waiting on results.

all done NHS

1 like
Iknownow2

Thank you!

Are the NHS dermatologist generous in giving the biopsys out when requested?

Good luck on the results!

butterflyEi

I do not know. I guess your first step would be to go to your GP for a referral. There are private ways to have a consultation with a Dermatologist if you have a BUPA or Spire hospital nearby. Sometimes it is worth telephoning them direct and asking the cost if you do not have medical insurance cover. If you have medical insurance cover call your provider. It is a way to short circuit the waiting lists on the NHS

1 like
Iknownow2

I have an dermatologist appointment in early December and it will be my second one. This time I would like to request for a scalp biopsy to see if I have TE or AGA. This is so that I can decide on how to treat my hair issue. Not knowing is such a pain.

1 like
butterflyEi

I hope they give it to you when you ask. It is perfectly reasonable to ask especially as you want to help yourself as best you can. Hope it works out for you.

1 like
Iknownow2

Thank you for the support. Much needed!

1 like

You may also like...