I have been active on this site for over 2 years and read new posts almost every day. Recently I have struggled to understand the posts because of the abbreviations. I am fairly knowledgeable and certainly not thick but I am quite sure that if I do not understand then others will be having difficulty too.

Please can we have correct terminology prior to the use of abbreviations within a post and please can text-speak be avoided.

7 Replies

• Well said. I always try to use the correct name or term before or around using any abbreviation. It is just plain good manners surely! LMAO.(laughing my a--e off.)

• I agree jennydog - abbreviations unexplained are inconsiderate and the moment I see text-speak, I move on.

• Many are in the AFA abbreviations publication which was generated following comments received / on here some time ago.

• What does AFA mean? Only joking!

• I was absolutely certain that someone couldn't resist responding re AFA and I have been proved right!!!!

• Sadly, having a heart rhythm problem does not confer a high standard of literacy on the sufferer, neither does it cure dyslexia, brain damage or the misfortune of having English as a foreign language. Unbelievably, it does not even inculcate thoughtfulness or good manners!

• Thank you for your responses. It's good to know that it's not just me!!

Some years ago my younger son sent me a text which ended " C u 18r. "

I studied this uncomprehendingly for some time. What did ' Eighteen r ' mean?

Both sons thought that this was hilariously funny and eventually explained that it was " L - eight - r."

I still haven't lived that one down!

Would you believe that a local factory owner told me that he often receives job applications in text-speak? Unacceptable sign of the times!

You may also like...