Does this mean we should supplement T... - Advanced Prostate...

Advanced Prostate Cancer

10,989 members13,245 posts

Does this mean we should supplement Taurine; I take it at night to help me sleep

From PubMed.gov

Taurine Attenuates Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition-Related Genes in Human Prostate Cancer Cells.

Tang Y1,2, Kim YS3, Choi EJ4, Hwang YJ5, Yun YS1, Bae SM6, Park PJ2,3, Kim EK7,8.

Author information

Abstract

Prostate cancer is the most common non-cutaneous cancers among men and the second leading cause of cancer-related deaths among men. Aberrant activation of the epithelial to mesenchymal transition (EMT) has been exhibited to be one of the most common causes of treatment failure and death in cancer patients. In cancer cells with metastatic competence, the E-cadherin switch is a well-established hallmark. Suppression of E-cadherin through its transcriptional repressor SNAIL is thus a determining factor for EMT. TWIST1 is an important transcription factor in EMT, which is present under both physiologic (embryogenesis) and pathologic (metastasis) conditions, and enhances the invasiveness and migration ability of cells. In this study, we investigated the inhibitory effects of taurine on EMT-related genes, such as E-cadherin, N-cadherin, TWIST1, ZEB1, SNAIL, and vimentin. EMT markers were detected by RT-PCR and western blotting. The results showed that taurine down-regulated the expression of N-cadherin, TWIST1, ZEB1, SNAIL, and vimentin. In contrast, taurine increased E-cadherin expression. Our findings indicate that taurine has EMT inhibitory effects on human prostate cancer cells.

11 Replies
oldestnewest

It wouldn't hurt.

Here's the link:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?te...

Taurine (with or without arginine) may be useful for A-fib.

Improving blood flow may forestall the appearance of HIF-1alpha (hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha).

-Patrick

tango65
tango65 in reply to pjoshea13

What is the dose for AF?

pjoshea13
pjoshea13 in reply to tango65

My wife was taking 2,000 mg taurine (+1,000 mg arginine) just before bed & again on waking up. (On an empty stomach.)

She had been told that she would need a drug for the rest of her life.

After a while, she only needed the amino acids occassionally. She threw the drug away.

Seems that taurine levels are much lower in older people. She takes taurine now & then.

-Patrick

tango65
tango65 in reply to pjoshea13

Thanks. I really appreciate your reply.

Nalakrats
Nalakrats in reply to tango65

Let me be more specific. I will use myself as an example. And throw some scientific reasoning in from one of my old Naturopathic Doctors. Currently today I do a bit of what Patrick's wife does. Every night on my maintenance program I take 1,000 mgs of Taurine, and 2,000 mgs L-Arginine--before bed. I also take the Arginine in the morning. But not the Taurine.

Back in 2,005 I was DX with A-Fib--long time ago. I was in the emergency room about once a month--with them giving me IV's of Toprol. Cardiologist wanted me on the Generic--Metoprolol--he said for life. I said bullshit. Was doing EKG's every 3 months-- then in about 2 years I found the secret sauce for me, and then I helped many others get off their Meds. I have been free of any Meds. for 11 years. And I do not have a Cardiologist---I fired the first one, and the last one retired, and It was a waste of time or money---no one even wanted to put me thru a Tread Mill Test--as they said they could not reach the HR levels I get to in the Gym, [3 days now,--winter 4 days a week.]

And right thru my 41 months of Pca I take the same amounts of the 2 before bed.

When I first Started I was like Patrick's wife taking 2,000 mgs of Taurine.

Now the reasoning---the heart of all organs in the body has the most amount of Taurine in it. Every can of Cat food has Taurine added--Interesting. SO THE THEORY IS: that the electrical signals for the beating of the heart travels along the lines of the molecule Taurine in/on/near the surface of the Heart---so envision the Taurine Molecule--laying flat on the surface of your heart---and they are connected to each other, by a term we use in Chemistry----Electrical Bonding---so we have one large circuit board on the outer layer of the heart which is what the signal travels thru, to tell the heart to beat. Somehow, this perfect Electrical Circuit gets interrupted, and we are told we have A-Fib. When interrupted the Heart, tries to re-route the signal and in doing so we get lots of Skipped Beats, and raised dangerous Heart Rates.

High dose Taurine, over time some have found, fills in the gaps of the broken circuits and returns the Heart to a Normal Beating Pattern, and Heart Rate. Of course you can have other disease states that affect Heart Rate. The use of the L-Arginine is to reduce the load on the Heart. It will widen the Arteries, and the Veins, and this is I think important as over 60% of Heart Attacks occur in the early morning just before rising to about 10 AM. The principal we were taught in College Physics, was that if you double the width of a pipe that a fluid is running thru you half the pressure on that pipe. So by pressure on the system being reduced, and the laying down of new Taurine Molecules in the Heart--some of us think that A-Fib can be controlled, or cured. In my case--I have been cured a long time ago. Now the above is not me prescribing. As there is a total procedure that goes along with the use of these Amino Acids, and a way to get off the medications---which I will not describe here. And if anyone attempts to get off their Meds, I suggest it is done under the care of a Doctor, who has a MD in Internal Medicine, who practices Naturopathy.

We can talk about the use of Natto, and Serra--but that is another subject for good Heart Health.

Nalakrats

tango65
tango65 in reply to Nalakrats

Thanks Nala, I really appreciate your input.

Nalakrats
Nalakrats in reply to tango65

Your welcome--this subject is in my strike zone.

Nalakrats

WSOPeddie
WSOPeddie in reply to Nalakrats

Yes, I also take Arginine and Taurine for a-fib. I remain on meds for a-fib too. I guess it's a nice bonus that Taurine can help fight prostate cancer. Have there been double blind randomized trials to prove this efficacy? Just kidding. I like supplements.

Nalakrats
Nalakrats in reply to WSOPeddie

No Trials--but lots of happy people!

Nalakrats, So it's better to take the Taurine at night before bed, rather than in the daytime? Just once at night? It wouldn't conflict with melatonin would it?

George

I can't understand not falling asleep on Sichel Street, L.A.

Best way for me to fall asleep is to close my eyes...

Good Luck, Good Health and Good Humor.

j-o-h-n Thursday 05/30/2019 8:03 PM DST

You may also like...