Advanced pc

My dad was diagnosed with pc in December 16, after having hormone treatment and being told he will have radiotherapy, he had kidney failure and has had a double naprostomy so treatment was put back. after waiting 3 months and several appointment at the doctors for severe stomach pain my dad decide to ring the hospital to ask why he hadn't heard anything, they gave him a next day app for ct scan and sang him next day to go in to see consultant. The consultant explained that the C had spread to lymph nodes and bladder and said he needs to start chemo within the next week. I asked why it took for my dad to ring to get seen and the consultant replied "whether we would have seen him 2 months ago or 2 weeks ago, things would be no different, I've never seen it spread this rapidly and aggressively in the years I've been working here" I feel my dad has been let down and I believe if he would have been seen sooner then things would be so different. Any advice or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Ohhhhh, My prayers for your DAD and YOU, family as well. THEY say early detection is best, IDK I was told I had 6.4 PSA in FEB of 09 and asked if I could get the surgery in august for personal reasons, they said yes, by august it had doubled and spread to my Lymph Nodes as well, I found this out after they cut me open of course, they left my prostate in and started me on androgen therapy. that has been very successful thus far, and i believe that it will continue to be, however, the meds we take for cancer cell supression also cause very bad health issues as well, I contracted High BP, and diabetes because of it but you know what? I changed my diet and exercise regimen and all of my numbers went down to non detectable, I still take the meds and a Lupron shot every 6 months, but I function really well. the side effects from the meds is what pisses me off, I sweat like I run marathons at a moments notice, actually runners would be shocked at how much I sweat, so dehydration happens often, I get nausea and malaise, but it does pass, so overall, Id put my quality of life at a 6 only because my external stress level is close to zero. ehhhh whtcha gonna do, rite.

• Sorry to hear. Firstly tell your dad not to panic (easier said than done I know). I was also diagnosed with stage 4 pca in December 2016. Psa was 212. Had chemo and lupron and averaged 1.1 all last year.

Your dads diet can help him along with a bunch of natural supplements. Eat organic and cut out sugar as much as possible and find a good oncologist that you trust.

I can go on but that's the key points. Positive attitude and good support will help you and him.

All the best

Dermot

• Cancer does spread rapidly at times. My cancer was confined to my prostate and then spread though the lymph system in a short period of time similar to what happened to your dad. Chemo (Taxotere + Carboplatin) is what I am on now along with ADT. Start the chemo ASAP do not wait any longer.

• Do you live in the USA, by your writing, seems like you are in Europe?

Nakakrats

• My psa was 7 I went with removal, new robotic surgery now I'm cancer free some side effects but I can live with them

You may also like...