Just starting out on the ADHD journey with 4 year old son. Desperately need guidance.

Hello! I have an almost 4 year old son who was a preemie. He's shown most signs of ADHD and some sensory issues. His pediatrician recommended getting him some help but didn't clarify further. So, I found a place that evaluated him but said they aren't qualified to diagnose him. However, they provide play-based occupational therapy once a week (he's been going for a month now). However, I don't know that this is the right thing for him. I am SO lost as to what to do and what steps to take. His major issue is impulse control where it has put him in dangerous situations before. I almost lost him as a preemie baby and it physically hurts me to think that he could get hurt (or worse) due to his issues.

With the occupational therapy, I've gotten some good tips but I feel it's odd to get therapy from a place that isn't qualified to diagnose him.

I could use any guidance on what others have done. Thank you!!!!

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Have you considered speaking to the pediatrician for a possible referral to a neurologist, developmental pediatrician? These people can diagnose him if there is something of concern.

• Learn everything possible about this disorder, get a second opinion, an individual education plan in order. Chadds helped me a lot.

You may also like...