Never had a low engine sound before

Good morning everyone,

Since my 'glue' ear last week has cleared allowing me to hear again ( on my non deaf ear ) ,I've noticed a sound ,which at first I thought I'd left the heating on or someone was outside the house with there engine running. I'm beginning to worry ,no sound will mask this at night ,as it's such a low constant droll , the only way I'm sleeping is by putting my finger in my ear !

Anyone!? Regards Sandy

Ps . Before my partner fell alsleep last night he asked me if I'd left the heating on ! I was so nervous and freaked out .....could he hear my ear ? Needless to say there wasn't any house sound ...

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I know what you mean.

I had it for weeks with my other sound and could not sleep .... Hope it settles down for you ....lots of love glynis

• Hi, if your husband could hear it maybe it is an external sound? Especially if putting your finger in your ear helps? Must be disconcerting to be hearing a new noise though, hope it goes away soon-Bev x

• Hi Bev , unfortunately it's definitely me . It's an odd one ,when I'm driving it's fine as it's the same tone as my Diesel engine !!

Regards Sandy

• Oh I see! I've just discovered the extractor fan in my kitchen masks mine perfectly! But I can't go live in the kitchen, any more than you can go live in your car I suppose! Nice to know there's some relief somewhere though - Bev x

• Hi Sandy, 12 years ago when we moved to our apartment I would often hear what I thought was a generator or a car engine running but didn`t really think anything about it. It was not very loud and never stopped me going to sleep. And I never noticed it at any other time of day.

Then in October 2014 after a cold virus I lost a lot of my hearing and developed tinnitus in my right ear - noises like the boiler running or the sound of the fridge. Turned out that what I could hear was the noise of my heart and circulation. I was told that the reason I could hear this is because the carotid artery runs very close to the hearing nerve and that`s why I was picking up these sounds. It`s just the way I`m built. Could that be the cause of your noises?

It`s been a long journey for me - I was very distraught at the beginning but now most of the time I don`t really hear it and if I do it doesn`t bother me the same.

Hope this helps. Love Lynne xx

• Hello Lynne,

That's interesting ,a couple of years ago I had a Ct scan to check out the arteries,as I had pulsatile tinnitus, the result was normal .

I do believe this has something to do with my eardrum having fluid behind it , along with that vertigo . When I went to bed last night I realized the sound had gone , has returned this afternoon , funny thing is it gets louder when a car goes past the house ........

Thanks for your reply,it's so frustrating, but there we are !

Take care Sandy

• Ears - mysterious and complex !! It`s possible you may find a reason for your tinnitus Sandy and hopefully get it treated. I do hope so. Love Lynne xx

You may also like...