ABRUPT PREDNISOLONE WITHDRAWAL

Hi everyone, I really need done help and advice. Because of TakayaSu's arteritis I was put in 40 mg per day prednislone. Unfortunately this effected my mood severely resulting in me suffering from manic highs and severe mood instability. I also suffer with bipolar disorder (which the rheumy knew); because of the effects on my mood it was reduced to 20mg daily but still the adverse/extreme mood effects kept happening. The rheumatologist gave me no warning of the possible effects on my mood - even though I now see this side effect is well known. Neither did she liaise with my Psychiatrist. Yesterday I was so ill that the steroids were completely stopped. My rheumatologist is currently away in the sick -they rang her at home. I have to ring hospital Monday to tell them how I feel. Basically I feel awful; still having mood swings' now getting heart palpatations, generalised weakness, headaches, shakes, light headedness, extreme coldness and generalised aches and pains and the steroids were only stopped last night. I am worried because I know it can be dangerous (I have been on the drugs 3 months) to stop the drug abruptly. I have been given no advice by the hospital, just told tinting in Monday. I am really worried about getting through this weekend - Is there anyone who can give me some advice on how to deal with this abrupt withdrawal. I really could do with some help and advice. Thank you so much

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Let us know how you go after you have spoken to your GP. Give John a ring again anytime this weekend... :-)

• Dear Coffeebix,

I don't know about your case, we are all different, but I was told NOT to just stop my streriods; in fact I was even given a card, to show to any future hospital, to that effect. Things may have changed, over the years, but, if I were you, check with your GP/consultant ASAP.

Do let me (us all) know, how you get on, will you?

In the men time takecare. Kind regards

AndrewT

• Coffeebix, been thinking of you over the weekend. My sister was bipolar and I have large vessel Arteritis, so the thought of combining the two is not very attractive! I do hope you got the help and advice that you needed, as I know how hard it can be when you have to rely on the out of hours service. The stars of my last few months have been the paramedics - when they delivered me to my last unplanned hospital visit, they told me that with my disease, I was to stop worrying about unnecessary call outs and get them first. They would much rather have a call out, talk to the hospital direct etc, then decide what to do next while all their equipment is at hand I'd I need it.

You may also like...