Can taking up exercising at the gym cause changes in thyroxine requirements?

I had my thyroid removed about 10 years ago and have been on the same dose of Levothyroxine (150) for most of that time. 3 years ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer and went through chemo and radiotherapy and am doing well.

At the same time as I was diagnosed my GP said I needed to increase the dose to 175 which I did - I didn't look into it as I had enough to find out about with the cancer. However earlier this summer I started to get palpitations at shorter intervals which became more frequent by October. The penny dropped that it could be due to too much thyroxine and I went to the GP and had further tests and was advised to go back to 150. As a result of the change I found that my peripheral neuropahy which had also got worse over the summer improved significantly, the palpitations have gone away but I have lost my energy and got rather 'down'.

My question is - I started going to the gym on a 'Healthy Life' scheme via the GP earlier this summer too. I was really enjoying it. Could this have triggered the sudden change?

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I would say yes, Extra activity needs extra hormones. A healthy gland would automatically supply the extra and you wouldn't even notice. But if one has no gland at all, it has to come from somewhere else.

• It can be an ongoing dilemma the higher thyroxine dose that makes you feel better and then the palpitations because you're on a higher dose. Some people get this and some don't so you have to choose between well and energetic with palps or down and slow without! Great choice, one I have been making for years. People on here do say that you can get a better balanced effect from the natural thyroid extract that makes you feel better without the palps so it's a matter of making choices and/or experimenting preferably with a knowledgeable practitioner which is what a lot of people on here wish they had! Yes exercise can make a difference because everything is working better and more efficiently and is going at a faster rate I don't think that Levothyroxine works properly that's why it does not suit some people..

You may also like...