High Cholesterol and 'A Key to Weight Loss'

High Cholesterol and 'A Key to Weight Loss'

My GP said my cholesterol is too high. Being a weight-watcher for 11 years, my diet is mainly 'low fat' with good variable foods, veg and fruit. I was surprised but hypothyroidism lowers your metabolism and I think a lot of us will have higher cholesterol levels. I definitely do not want pills. I had only gained about 5-lbs overall before being diagnosed with hypo

On searching the web I last night I found the following interview :-

thyroid.about.com/gi/dynami...

It is a long 8 pages but I ran it off and read it last night. It has enlighted me about several things and I will give Page 1 to my GP.

That led me to an interview with the same nutritionist doctor entitled "Thyroid Health" "A Key to Weight loss".

coconut-connections.com/hyp...

That, too, was an interesting read as you may be able to increase your metabolism and I also ran it off (5 pages) to read it through again.

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Dear Shaws - thanks info re Dr Peats interviews. Thyroid Uk mag has had info on coconut milk and oil in the past too, I hope its easily available because I am going to have a go now.

• Paula,

I have bought some too. I got it from Holland and Barrett. I was surprised it was solidified - and you have to refrigerate it after opening and I then found it difficult to get a teaspoonful out of it. So, I have chopped it into pieces roughly t/spoon size. It says to use a tablespoon daily but I use about 2 tspns (1 in each cup spread over the day) I also found it difficult to spread. It disolves easily in soup or hot drink. It gives a slight coconut flavour to tea but is not unpleasant .The one I bought cost about £11. It will be interesting to know whether my cholesterol drops because my diet remains the same.

I see the original report was published in 2001.

Regards

Shaws

It is probably co-incidental but these last couple of days I have been feeling hot.

• Without going on and on, there is a lot about coconut on the net. It has trans fatty acids in it, which are beneficial for the gut etc. I think you will find that there is not a problem in shelf life if you leave it out of the fridge . It is reported to have a long to indefinate shelf life even in ambient temperatures. It may be easier for you to use it for frying/hot meals to get your quota as it has a high smoke point.

• Thanks very much. I appreciate your info.

• They do sell tubs in Holland and Barrett of pure coconut oil , it says once open to keep in the fridge , don't know about the oil, but you can only seem to get that on the net !! don't know if it is quite the same but worth a try and it's half price at the moment so worth a try !!best wishes Jan x

• Thanks. When I finish this one I'll look to the net.

You may also like...