I have been taking 50mg levothyroxine for a month now and feel no different at all. GP asked me to wait 3 months and then go back for a blood test when they gave me the initial tablets. (Blood test in Feb showed TSH 6.72 (ref .25-4)/T4 16 (ref 12-20), repeated at end of April TSH 3.58/T4 16 and repeated again in June TSH 5.5/T4 16. Folate and B12 normal, creatinine raised)
As the 50mg levo seems to have had no effect at all, I went back to GP and explained this and said I did not see the point in hanging on for a further 2 months when they patently were not doing anything as I understoof that I should have seen the effect in 2 weeks or so. Why could we not change the treatment now rather than wait so long? GP says likely to make me hyper from giving too much levo if they increase the dose now so need to wait for further blood test before can do anything. I said surely the point is how I feel and not the blood test results to which she said that might be something else wrong if not responding to therapeutic dose. Lots of discussion but to no avail.
All this waiting around for no apparent purpose: months between blood tests for initial diagnosis and now more waiting before getting to an effective treatment seems such a pointless waste of time. Am I being too impatient - just want to be rid of the symptoms without all this messing about? What do you think?