TSH and Breech Presentation

As we have had a few pregnancy-related questions, the following snippet - and the link to the full article - leapt out at me. I quote from the American Thyroid Association's regular newsletter - Thyroid Weekly July 14, 2010.

(The ATA homepage is here:

thyroid.org/

If you wish to subscribe yourself, go here:

multibriefs.com/optin.php?a...

The newsletter and limited access to the web site is free.)

Pregnant women with TSH levels higher than 2.5 IU/L during the end of gestation are at risk for breech presentation, and obstetrical complications

Clinical Thyroidology

Breech presentation at term is the most common abnormal fetal presentation, and it is associated with neonatal and maternal morbidity and mortality. There are many factors associated with breech presentation, including, among other causes, prematurity, low birth rate, primiparity, and smoking during pregnancy. The objective of this study was to evaluate the relationship between suboptimal maternal thyroid function during gestation and breech presentation at term.

thyroid.org/professionals/p...

All the best

Rod

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • How interesting - I was born breech - feet first!! My mother told me that she thought it was gods way of punishing her for having me outside of marriage! No, she wasn't maternal at all, unsurprisingly!

She did smoke. But as my grandmother had thyroid issues I suspect it may have been possible my mother did?

S

• Ah well, apparently smoking causes raised fT3. (Unfortunately one of those papers where the abstract just tickles your interest but doesn't say anything useful like by how much.

Rod

You may also like...