Thyroid UK
84,230 members99,230 posts

Graves and Hyperthyroidism

Hi,

After being diagnosed with Graves and Hyperthyroidism recently, ( October) apart from the obvious worries I am desperate to find something that makes my eyes look remotely normal, they constantly watery and bloodshot and most days I wear sunglasses as I am so self-conscious. Hoping someone could recommend something? Thanks

9 Replies
oldestnewest

ZRachel,

Ask your pharmacist for a preservative-free eye drops and perhaps gel for nighttime. You should also make sure that nobody smokes tobacco anywhere near you.

Thank-you

Zrachel,

I edited my post to add that you should steer clear of tobacco smoke.

Hi. I have been treated for graves too. luckily my eyes haven’t really been a problem. There were times they did feel very dry/gritty though. You might already be using it, but I found using viscotears regularly helped a bit. You can buy a tube at any pharmacy.

Thank-you bought viscotears yesterday so early days but am hoping

I too hope it works.

However, you need to be aware that tubes of VisoTears contain preservative - and some people either are, or become, sensitive to that. I used to use single dose units of ViscoTears - jolly expensive but preservative-free. Pleased to say, no longer needed.

1 like

Thank-you will look for the single dose ones in case

Have you mentioned this to your endo ? If you are due a routine eye test any time soon, it would be worth bringing it forward, and telling the optician you have Graves’.

Waiting for an appointment with ophthalmologist.

1 like

You may also like...