Low dose Lithium: Hi, Is it true that even low... - Thyroid UK

Thyroid UK
101,267 members115,595 posts

Low dose Lithium

Hi,

Is it true that even low dose lithium, say 2.5mg a day, can affect thyroid and also impede NDT absorption and effect? Is there any medical research to support this?

I have had conflicting reports about this, many people saying that really low dose is ok.

My lithium levels are through the floor so wanted to help myself here.

Thanks.

8 Replies
oldestnewest

Hoalarg,

Are you buying some sort of Lithium supplement over the counter?

It is Lithium Carbonate which is a prescription drug used in the treatment of psychiatric illness which can induce hypothyroidism.

Yes. It's lithium orotate.

Hoalarg,

Lithium Orotate can cause kidney and thyroid damage. Read the links and decide whether the benefits outweigh the risks. google.co.uk/search?client=...

1 like

Even at those doses? It doesn't look as if too much research has been done on it. Thanks anyway.

Please let me know if you find out about low dose effects. I just started taking 5mg lithium carbonate.

You could have a read of some of the papers found by this search:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?te...

Thanks.

i have been taking lithium n is on a high dose im on 1,200mg a night my shrink reduced them to 2 night which is 800mg as i had toxicity n before i started to take i didnt suffer from thyroid problems now i do amongst other things b very careful what u take this is my last resort as i have cycling bipolar only thing that works for me

You may also like...