Thyroid UK
82,577 members97,610 posts

High TGAB

Hi, can anybody tell me what it means if test shows high thyroglobulin antibodies please (72) . All others are well within range. Have been told I was borderline low t4 in past, but no treatment given. Had extensive thyroid bloods done privately, which showed high tgAB. I have symptoms of hypothyroidism including weight gain, significant hair loss, dry skin, tiredness, weakness etc. I also have palpitations which was also detectable via ecg and showed other abnormalities (being investigated at the moment) and have high cholesterol. Thank you.

10 Replies
oldestnewest

Sadienerin,

Thyroglobulin is usually used to monitor treatment in patients who have had thyroid cancer and thyroidectomy. There is no point in measuring thyroglobulin otherwise because thyroglobulin can be elevated in anyone who still has their thryoid gland.

1 like

Ok, so it's nothing to worry about then! Thank you 😊

Sadienerin,

Were TSH, FT4 and FT3 tested?

1 like

Yes all tested. All well within range this time, but antibodies high. Been borderline low in past but drs wouldn’t treat as it was still within range.

Did you really mean thyroglobulin or did you mean thyroglobulin antibodies?

labtestsonline.org.uk/under...

labtestsonline.org.uk/under...

1 like

Thyroglobulin antibodies were high, sorry. Have edited post now x

Sadienerin,

High thyroglobulin antibodies means you are positive for autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's). There is no cure for Hashimoto's which causes 90% of hypothyroidism. Levothyroxine treatment is for the low thyroid levels it eventually causes. Many people have found that 100% gluten-free diet is helpful in reducing Hashi flares, symptoms and eventually antibodies.

chriskresser.com/the-gluten...

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_...

1 like

Oh ok, thank you. So if all your other measures are within range, they won’t treat you despite symptoms? X

Sadienerin,

No, NHS won't treat until either TSH is over range or FT4 below range.

1 like

Ok just as I thought. Thank you

You may also like...