Starting synthroid dose

Hi experts,

Finally i got diagnosed with hypothyroidism today with my TSH at 13! Phew! The doctor has prescribed synthroid - 88 mcg. I am having cognitive/memory issues as well. Is the dose right-not too high or too low? Sorry for the naive question but I am a little unsure as my GP appeared to be a little inexperienced. Also how much time does it take for the symptoms to clear up? - I know it will vary from person to person but just need a ball park figure. Looking forward to some expert advice.

Last edited by

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Dlonelyguy,

75-100mcg is an appropriate starting dose but it may need adjusting in a few weeks.

For maximum absorption Levothyroxine should be taken with water 1 hour before or 2 hours after food and drink, 2 hours away from other medication and supplements, and 4 hours away from calcium, iron, vitamin D supplements and oestrogen.

It takes 7-10 days for Levothyroxine to be absorbed before it starts working and it will take up to six weeks to feel the full impact of the dose but symptoms may lag a couple of months behind good biochemistry when you are eventually optimally medicated.

You should have a follow up thyroid test 6-8 weeks after starting Levothyroxine. Arrange an early morning and fasting (water only) blood draw when TSH is highest, and take Levothyroxine after your blood draw.

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Thanks a ton Clutter! I am 5'11 and 75 kgs. Just wanted to be doubly sure if 88mcg is too much at 13 TSH. I have heard that you can't go back to a lower dose and hence the question.

• Dlonelyguy,

Dose can be increased and decreased anytime as required. Most people will be comfortable after TSH is 1.0 or lower with FT4 in upper range.

You may also like...