Thyroxine reduced

Hi,

I've been on 100mcgs of thyroxine for the past 20 years but now the go has said that I need to reduce this to 75 mcgs as my test results are as follows.

My question is will I go too hypothyroid again then or should I maybe drop to around 100mcgs one day and 75mcgs the next?just worried about feeling all the tiredness coming back again if I go too low,thanks

Ft4-25.4

Tsh 0.13

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • im unsure but i think they are optimal readings, he shouldn't be lowering your dose he should be maintaining it.

• FT4 25.4 maybe means no immediate danger, but FT3 should be checked. Dr Toft: "But some need a higher dose of levothyroxine to suppress serum TSH and then the serum-free T4 concentration will be elevated at around 24-28pmol/l. This ‘exogenous subclinical hyperthyroidism’ is not dangerous as long as serum T3 is unequivocally normal ..." in chapter 'Treatment Options' here: thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_...

• You need to know if your FT4 result is converting into the ACTIVE thyroid hormone T3. No result - so it may be advisable to have it tested before lowering the dose. The T4 is a storage hormone and as far as we know does little in the body. The T3 is the active one and needed in every cell of the body - so that everything can work well.

Do you have Hashimotos ? Have your anti-bodies been tested ?

How are your levels of FERRITIN - B12 - FOLATE - VITD ? They all need to be OPTIMAL for your T4 to convert well in the body - and for you to feel well :-)

• Thanks,I will go and ask for my T3 to be tested first then I think as they don't test it unless you ask I think.ive got optimal levels of ferritin,folate and b12 and lots of vitamin D here so would imagine that is optimal too. 😊

• Labs and GP's seem reluctant to test the FT3 - but you could try. So do you have your results for B12 - Ferritin - Folate - VitD ? - it would be good if you could post them as sometimes we find on this forum that a GP's idea of good is far from optimal :-)

Thyroid Anti-bodies ??

What supplements are you taking ? Any other Meds ?

You may also like...